Melody
After hearing so many raving reviews on Dennis Lehane's books round the blogosphere, I figured I should start with Shutter Island because of the atmospheric setting, especially when it takes place in a gloomy mental facility in a remote island. What can you expect from the criminally insane, and where will you run should you need to hide and/or escape? Yes I could definitely sense suspense and great intensity before I read it; and my only regret is I wished I had read it earlier! (Read my review here.)

Anyways, I was thrilled when I knew there is a film adaption of Shutter Island. It thrilled me more when I learned Leonardo DiCaprio took the leading role of Teddy Daniels because honestly I think his acting is great and convincing. He is definitely not the same Leonardo DiCaprio when he first played Jack in Titanic; he has matured not only of his looks but also on his performance. I find the performances of the rest of the characters in Shutter Island are pretty good too, in particularly to Ben Kingsley for his role of the head psychiatrist Dr. John Cawley. I have to confess that Ben Kingsley fits the image of Dr. John Cawley when I first pictured this character while reading the book.

I find the flashback scenes of the war can be a bit confusing to some who has not read the book (e.g. my dear husband). When I asked him if he could foresee the ending, he said he has not expected that at all. Overall, I was quite satisfied with the cinematography and the effects on certain scenes are actually stunning (e.g. the scene where Rachel Solando (played by Emily Mortimer) covered in blood with the dead children on her feet). Needless to say, I enjoyed the movie but of course that experience could not be compared (and is not the same as) with the book. The only thing I want to complain about the movie experience is the distractions caused by a couple sitting next to me; usually I don't care what they do with each other but disturbing the audience when their cellphones rang during the middle of the show is a real spoilsport.

Have you read the book and/or watch the movie? Do share your thoughts with me.
Labels: , edit post
15 Responses
  1. Violet Says:

    I want to see it too. Do glad you liked it. I love Ben Kingsley, good to know he has done well.


  2. Julia Says:

    I have not yet seen the movie or read the book but I have want to long time ago. Glad to hear you enjoy the movie as much as when you read the book :)


  3. Unknown Says:

    I so want to watch AND read this!


  4. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    Our book club read the book then saw the movie together. While I did enjoy the movie, it didn't compare to the book (when does it ever?). I did ask myself the question...would I understand the movie if I hadn't read the book? I think so. You could tell the rest of the theater overall had NOT read the book, and you could hear their exclamations when they figured things out.


  5. Wanda Says:

    Good to hear you enjoyed the movie, thanks for the comparison review! I soooo want to see this movie!!


  6. Iliana Says:

    I really want to see the movie! Would love to read the book too but I'm guessing I may see the film first. Have you seen Revolutionary Road? Leonardo DiCaprio is wonderful in that one!


  7. Josette Says:

    I've watched the movie already and thought it's all right that's all despite Leo's brilliant acting! The bloody scenes weren't my favourite though. Oooh and Michelle Williams as an insane character, I thought she performed well. Looking at her in the final scenes gave me the creeps!


  8. Jennifer Dee Says:

    I can't wait to see this film but first I will read the book.


  9. Darlyn Says:

    Never read or watch the story yet..but i think it sounds cool.and i always love leo!


  10. Alice Says:

    I love the book (read it last year) and now waiting to watch the movie. :D


  11. Cmate Says:

    I want to watch it... but still hasnt got time to watch it. Sounds like a good story...


  12. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I'm not sure if I'm going to watch this or not. I'll probably read it first though.


  13. The Bookworm Says:

    I really enjoyed this movie, and hope to read the book. I loved how the movie really kept me on the edge of my seat, I had no idea what would happen next.
    Great review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  14. Melody Says:

    Hi, my dear friends! Thanks for your comments. :) I really enjoyed this movie, and I definitely look forward to reading Dennis Lehane's books in the near future.


  15. Anonymous Says:

    I liked them both!
    I often get distracted in the theater if people around me are loud or texting. I've never had the phone ring near me, but I might have complained!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.