Melody
The Time Traveler's Wife
Starring: Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams
Rating: 3.5 stars


Based on Audrey Niffenegger's novel of the same name, The Time Traveler's Wife follows the love story of Henry DeTamble and Clare Abshire. I have to admit my curiosity was piqued after reading so many rave reviews of it so I decided to buy and watch the DVD, despite that I have the book in my pile and I figured I couldn't wait to know what the story is all about.

Eric Bana plays the role of Henry DeTamble who has a genetic disorder in which this enables him to time travel randomly. He meets Clare (Rachel McAdams) and they begin a relationship. Actually, Clare had already met him when she was young and what makes this story touching and romantic is the connection they feel and have for each other throughout the years. Though they are once again reunited, Henry's condition has now became a strain for them now that they are a couple, and the idea of having a child further makes it difficult for them. Is their relationship deems as a doom right from the beginning?

Honestly speaking, though I was fascinated by the premise I am afraid to say I wasn't really wowed by this film. The characters and the cast performance are great, but there are times I was confused by some parts of the film and the flashbacks didn't make it any better although I understand they are crucial and they explain about Henry's past. I suppose I'd enjoyed this film more after reading the book so I might want to watch this again in the near future.



Bride Wars
Starring: Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson
Rating: 3.75 stars


Emma Allen (Anne Hathaway) and Olivia 'Liv' Lerner (Kate Hudson) are best friends and they have dreams about their weddings ever since they were young. And after witnessing a couple's grand wedding at the Plaza Hotel, they had vowed to be married at the same location when they grown up.

When the two women finally got engaged, they went to consult New York's most famous wedding planner, Marion St. Claire (Candice Bergen) but due to a clerical error, their marriage date is unfortunately scheduled on the same day. Because this is an important day, neither of them wants to make a compromise and on the contrary, each try to outwit the other by using dirty tricks and sabotaging each other's plans. Does this mean their friendship will be over for good?

I always have a thing for romantic comedy and Anne Hathaway is another reason why I picked up Bride Wars. This film is highly entertaining from the beginning till the end; and though I felt some of their antics to be a little exaggerating I think there are some realistic truth in them when it comes to the friendship issue and/or how one wants to be better than the other under some circumstances. Brides-to-be may want to watch this film for some ideas on the wedding gowns and thanks to the special feature on the DVD, I get to know some history of well-known designer Vera Wang and why her wedding gowns is a dream and a must-have to every brides-to-be.



No Strings Attached
Starring: Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher
Rating: 3.75 stars


No Strings Attached is another romantic comedy which I watched lately and enjoyed it. This film is rated M18 here due to the sexual issue and language as well as the portrayal of drug use.

Emma (Natalie Portman) and Adam (Ashton Kutcher) are friends for a while but they aren't close until they met each other again through a mutual friend. Emma works in a hospital while Adam works as an assistant in a show and his dream is to be a script writer one day. Their friendship might have stopped there if Adam didn't get drunk and text messaged Emma after he got upset with his father for having a relationship with his ex-girlfriend.

Emma decided they keep their relationship brief after that night, after all she doesn’t believe in love. She also set some ground rules to each other in order to prevent their relationship from getting serious. This goes on well in the beginning, but as the time passes Adam starts to develop feelings for Emma. Sensing Adam’s closeness, Emma decided to take a step back away from their relationship and so they went on separate ways. However, Emma isn’t happy after she has sealed off her relationship with Adam, and this makes her think carefully about their relationship.

No Strings Attached may seems clichéd at some point, but it makes you wonder if a man and a woman could maintain a platonic relationship. Another thing is, though casual sex may portrayed to be respectable in the film, I think the ending has changed that conception and show us what love is when Emma starts to realise that Adam is important to her and trying hard to win back his love.
8 Responses
  1. I haven't yet seen The Time Traveler's Wife because I'm determined to read the book first. I confess though that I haven't really found the motivation to read the book though.

    I have seen Bride Wars and agree with you about some of their antics being over the top. It was a fun movie though.


  2. Julia Says:

    WOW sound like it was a fun movies night for you this weekend. I enjoyed seeing your reviews on all three movies and although I do agree with you on Bride War, I also thought it was fun movie. I have not seen Time Traveler's Wife nor read the book but I know eventually I will. Thanks for sharing your reviews! :)


  3. Violet Says:

    I still haven't seen the first movie but I like the book and I like Rachel McAdams so I'll definitely see it at some point. I liked Bride Wars but didn't love it, again I saw it because I like Kate Hudson. Haven't seen the last movie but 3.75 is a good rating I think.


  4. Ceri Says:

    Ohmygosh, Mel, you so need to read the book. It is that much better than the film. As much as I thought the film was lovely (and adore Eric Bana) the book kicks the film's ass!

    I've wanted to see Bride Wars for a while now. I do love Anne Hathway. :)


  5. The Bookworm Says:

    I havent seen any of these, but I do want too. Great reviews! I know what you mean about the exaggerrated antics in Bride Wars. I think chick clicks tend to do that.


  6. Darlene Says:

    I haven't seen any of these but I do want to see them all. I read Time Traveler's Wife though and it's an awesome novel!


  7. Alice Says:

    I'd like to watch No Strings Attached very, very soon. :D


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I watched the Time Traveler's Wife and thought it was just okay too. I've heard the book is better and need to get to it soon. Like you, I've had it on my shelf awhile.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.