Melody

I noticed this bookish meme has been circulating around the blogosphere (meme originated by Simon of Stuck in a Book) and I decided this is too fun to let it pass so there you go. Plus, I figured I haven't been posting too many book reviews considering I have been slacking in my reading (thanks to my shortened commute time ever since I moved office last November and my lately addiction to Gardens of Time, one of the games featured on Facebook) so this little meme helps to fill the void, even if it is only for a day.

1. The Book I'm Currently Reading:

In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. Don't you just love the cover and the title, but let me tell you that there is nothing pleasing or cute to the story. Set in the backstreets of Japan and with a plot that evolves around the sex industry there, this psychological thriller never let your attention wavers even though you know the places where the author take you isn't pretty.



2. The Last Book I Finished:

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon (my review here). This is one of those wonderful classic which I would never get tired of reading it over and over again. What makes this retelling tale a wonderful reading experience to me is the writing style and the two narratives so it is refreshing to read the other side of the story from Princess Margrethe's point of view aside from the mermaid's.



3. The Next Book I Want to Read:

I have a long list of books I want to read but I suppose I will choose this book for now - A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I don't think I have ever read a negative review of this book so I really look forward to reading it (I'm just waiting for the right mood to strike).





4. The Last Book I Bought:

The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto. I fell in love with this author's prose and writing style after reading Kitchen and Goodbye, Tsugumi. Also, there is just something about her stories that will make you pause and think about them.






5. The Last Book I Was Given:

Ten Beach Road by Wendy Wax. This book was given to me by a publicist for review. I read The Accidental Bestseller and Magnolia Wednesdays by the same author awhile back and enjoyed them so I can't wait to see what is in store for this one.
6 Responses
  1. I just received The Lake in a giveaway and I look forward to reading it. I really love Yoshimoto's style as well.


  2. joanna Says:

    What a fun meme! I want to read The Discovery of Witches too, it's on my summer reading list.


  3. The Bookworm Says:

    I want to read The Discovery of Witches and The Lake also :)


  4. Ceri Says:

    Love this meme. :) I may have to steal it from you. The book you're reading now sounds interesting - very misleading by the cutsey cover. I look forward to reading your review of it, Mel. :)


  5. Melody Says:

    Trish - I enjoyed reading your answers. It's fun to know what everyone's reading through this meme.

    Joanna & Naida - I look forward to your reviews when you get to it!

    Ceri - Oh, I can't wait to read your answers! FYI I've finished reading "In The Miso Soup" and my review will be up soon!


  6. Julia Says:

    I heard so much raves/and not good rave on the book A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES. I have friend who recommend the group to read it. I hope you enjoy that book. Looking forward to read your review on that one. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.