Melody
Well there won't be a Teaser Tuesdays post today since I'm still reading Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. It is an engaging read and I'm enjoying every moment of it; I just wish there is more time for my reading so I could finish this book soon and move on with other books in my pile. There are simply too many books and so little time!

That said, I'd like to share with you some of the few books that caught my attention lately. I had ordered two of them online and also responded to the publicists' emails for the other two books which I hope to receive them soon.



Brother/Sister by Sean Olin
ISBN-13: 9781595143860
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: June 2011

Synopsis (B&N):
Will and Asheley have a troubled past. Their father left them when they were little, and their mother has just been carted off to an alcohol treatment center. Now, they have the house to themselves, and an endless California summer stretching out before them. Through alternating perspectives, they tell the story of how and why their lives spun violently out of control - right up to the impossibly shocking conclusion you'll have to read for yourself to believe.


Asylum by Patrick McGrath
ISBN-13: 9780679781387
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
Published: March 1998

Synopsis (B&N):
From our most celebrated writer of the psychological thriller comes this nerve-wracking yet eerily beautiful work of erotic obsession and madness.

In the summer of 1959 Stella Raphael joins her psychiatrist husband, Max, at his new posting--a maximum-security hospital for the criminally insane. Beautiful and headstrong, Stella soon falls under the spell of Edgar Stark, a brilliant and magnetic sculptor who has been confined to the hospital for murdering his wife in a psychotic rage.

But Stella's knowledge of Edgar's crime is no hindrance to the volcanic attraction that ensues--a passion that will consume Stella's sanity and destroy her and the lives of those around her.


Her Sister's Shadow by Katharine Britton
ISBN-13: 9780425241745
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: June 2011

Synopsis (B&N):
An emotionally powerful debut about two sisters who reconnect after nearly forty years of estrangement.

Renowned painter Lilli Niles is at home in her North London flat when she receives an unexpected call from her elder sister, Bea, who's at the family homestead in Whitehead, Massachusetts. Bea's husband has just died, and she'd like Lilli to fly home to attend the funeral. There are reasons Lilli moved all the way to England to escape her older sister, reasons that have kept them estranged for decades. But something in Bea's voice makes Lilli think it's time to return to the stately house in New England she loved as a child, to the memory of the beloved younger sister they both lost. With Bea more fragile than Lilli remembered, maybe she can finally forgive Bea for a long-ago betrayal that has simmered between them for nearly forty years.


Everything Beautiful Began After by Simon Van Booy
ISBN-13: 9780061661488
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Published: July 2011

Synopsis (B&N):
Rebecca is young, lost, and beautiful. A gifted artist, she seeks solace and inspiration in the Mediterranean heat of Athens—trying to understand who she is and how she can love without fear.

George has come to Athens to learn ancient languages after growing up in New England boarding schools and Ivy League colleges. He has no close relationships with anyone and spends his days hunched over books or wandering the city in a drunken stupor.

Henry is in Athens to dig. An accomplished young archaeologist, he devotedly uncovers the city’s past as a way to escape his own, which holds a secret that not even his doting parents can talk about.

And then, with a series of chance meetings, Rebecca, George, and Henry are suddenly in flight, their lives brighter and clearer than ever, as they fall headlong into a summer that will forever define them in the decades to come.

Labels: edit post
6 Responses
  1. The Bookworm Says:

    they all sound good, especially Everything Beautiful Began After.
    happy reading :)


  2. I know how slow reading goes. :( I actually think I might get more reading done when I go back to work!

    Everything Beautiful Began After does sound really great!

    Hope you're enjoying Girl in Translation.


  3. Melody Says:

    Naida - Those books sound good isn't it? I look forward to reading them!

    Trish - When're you getting back to work if you don't mind me asking. ;)


  4. Care Says:

    I just tbr'd the Van Booy book, too! His writing is just so beautiful.


  5. Ceri Says:

    Wow, wow and wow, Mel. Every one of those books sound interesting to me so I'm really excited to hear about them through your reviews. :D :D

    I hear you about the slow reading. I'm a sloooooooooow reader and that's when I can find the time!


  6. Julia Says:

    For some reason, Brother/Sister reminded me of FORBIDDEN book. Or the author V.C Andrew who wrote fLOWER IN THE ATTIC. I have read V.C Andrew books in the past but never read the author who wrote FORBIDDEN. But I heard lot of YA reader like that book. But I hope you enjoy all the books you bought :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.