Melody
ISBN-13: 9781848120457
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Published: January 2010
192 pgs
Source: Personal Library



Sixteen-year-old Cassidy feels her life is anything but happy. It does not help that her father is no longer living with them and that her mother has found a new love in another man. Cassidy feels her mother does not understand her, and she has no feelings towards the new man in her mother's life except that she thinks he meddles too much of her life.

Things began to look up when she met a guy named Jonah, together with his three friends when they are transferred to her school. They may be a few years older than her, but Cassidy felt kind of flattered that they showed enough attention towards her. Cassidy enjoys being with Jonah, and she has more or less put her relationship with childhood friend and ex-lover behind her, until she discover something about Jonah that makes her question about their relationship.

I have to say I was totally taken aback after reading half of The Worst of Me. What I am saying is, though I was prepared to doubt Jonah (due to the blurb), what caught me completely off-guard is the issues surrounding this story, i.e. racism and religions, in which I have to confess I don't recall reading anything about the latter in which a character has strong feelings against it. That said, I want to clarify that the author has actually done a good job in telling this story in a matter-of-fact way; there is no disrespect towards anyone except to show the different side and thoughts of Jonah (as well as his friends).

The Worst of Me tells the dilemma and struggle Cassidy has to face between love and the respect one has to give towards other people, regardless of race or religion. As much as these issues are important, what's so sad about the thing is, they still exist since history, and is difficult to resolve even today.

Without a doubt, this is a great character-driven story and I think most girls will be able to connect with Cassidy as the author has a way of drawing the readers into Cassidy's mind, and for this reason I will definitely check out the other books by Kate Le Vann, due to the characterisations and the emotional-charged topics.

Other review:
(Let me know if I missed yours.)
12 Responses
  1. Ana S. Says:

    You're right, those are difficult issues even today. You've got me curious about this book.


  2. bermudaonion Says:

    This sounds like a book that would make you think and I like books like that!


  3. Andreea Says:

    Thanks for the great review Melody! This book sounds like a good read!


  4. Jenny Says:

    I'm so curious about this now! I've never heard of this author before but you've piqued my interest.


  5. Veens Says:

    I am sure this will make for a good discussion and the issues are difficult to write about too.
    Great review!


  6. Jaimie Says:

    It continues to surprise and dismay me that race and religion are still such unresolvable issues in the world today. Great review Melody!


  7. Mrs Suvi Says:

    Thanks for sharing this interesting book, sounds like something not to miss!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Looks interesting. Telling it in a matter of fact way would help the issues to come through.
    Great review.


  9. Darlene Says:

    Great review. This sounds like a good book- most that make you sit back and think are.


  10. Melody Says:

    Thank you all for your comments! :) Indeed the topics in this book is a thought-provoking one. It makes me sad that there are people who do think/act that way.


  11. Iliana Says:

    I swear Melody you find the most interesting YA books! Hadn't heard of this one but I'm definitely curious about it now. Adding it to my list!


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Aww...thanks, Iliana! I'm glad you're adding this onto your list! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.