Melody
I know I don't always post reviews on the movies I watched, but I want to share my thoughts with you on these two movies which I saw lately. Let me begin with The Hill Have Eyes. I have to admit I am a total wimp when it comes to horror movies, yet I am fascinated with them. We watched this on MioTV, which is a subscribing channel but we got a free one-year subscription since we subscribed to a new Broadband plan which expired last year. Though there is a limited access to their programmes, at least we have four movies to look forward to each month.

Anyway, The Hill Have Eyes is a remake from the original which was first released in 1977. My husband and I had waited till our daughters have gone to bed before watching this because of the gore and the strong violence elements.

A team of men in NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suits were brutally killed when they explored a secret military base where the government has secretly used for conducting their nuclear tests. The terror continues when Bob Carter, a retired officer and his family were being forced to camp at this place during their road trip after someone had intentionally punctured their tyres.

Unfortunately for the Carters family, they did not know that this place is inhabited by a mutant family and soon they have to do everything to fight for their lives before they became their meals. Without saying, some family members have to die during the struggle, and of course they died in the most inhuman ways. While I was bothered by the gore and all, what really made me think about this movie is the nuclear tests and how it would badly affect the world should there be a nuclear war. It is definitely a terrifying thought.

(My Rating: 3 out of 5)


Onto a cheerier issue, we watched How to Train Your Dragon with our eldest daughter last evening. We totally enjoyed watching it and I think we all have something to learn from Hiccup, our young Viking hero of this movie. When I first watched this movie, I didn't know this was based on a children's novel by Cressida Cowell, and that this is the first instalment of her How To Train Your Dragon Series.

One would never expect Hiccup is the son of a Viking Chief, for Hiccup is quiet and he does not seem to have the viking blood as his father. However, all the young ones in the tribe are required to go through trainings in catching and taming the dragons, and Hiccup could not say no to this ordeal and has to grit his teeth no matter how much he dislike it.

During a mission when they are required to fetch a dragon for training, Hiccup caught a black scrawny dragon and named him Toothless. Toothless is not friendly towards him in the beginning, but they began to trust each other and a special bond is formed as the days go by. However, no one in the clan knew of Toothless existence and Hiccup has no intention to tell anyone about it. Through his experience with Toothless, he began to learn ways of soothing and taming dragons. Little does he know that his experience with Toothless will change his life thereafter and he will encounter a challenging task that not only will prove his courage but also allow the other tribe members to change their attitude towards the dragons.

For this movie, we chose to watch a 2D version because my husband had complained of giddiness when we first watched a 3D movie last year. I think it has got to do with the glasses issue as I could not imagine wearing a pair of 3D glasses over a regular pair of glasses (for this, I'm thankful for being a contact lens wearer and I only wear my glasses at home). Anyway, we totally enjoyed the movie experience! What I loved best about this movie is the humanity and the emotions portrayed in all aspects: loyalty, friendship and of course, love. I loved the part that shows the struggle between Hiccup and his father, and how their feelings towards each other changed and became stronger as the plot progress. The bond between Hiccup and Toothless is especially moving for me, and I was choked with emotions over a scene which I'd rather not tell. All in all, a great inspirational movie for the young audience and adults alike.

(My Rating: 4 out of 5)

17 Responses
  1. Jeane Says:

    I'm glad to hear you liked How to Train Your Dragon because I've been wanting to see it, but my husband thinks it just looks silly. I think my five-year-old would really enjoy it, too.


  2. Jaimie Says:

    How to train your Dragon looks so cute! I wish I had little kids to watch it with! Great reviews Melody. I haven't watched The Hills Have Eyes, though it plays sometimes on HBO. I'm too scared to watch it!


  3. Jenny Says:

    How to Train Your Dragon sounds far sweeter and better than I had imagined when I first heard of it. Maybe I will see it too, though probably not the 3D version.


  4. Darlyn Says:

    i have to find a dvd of how to train your dragon.i love your review and the story too. and never thought it's base from a book.wicked!


  5. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I love horror flicks, so this one has been on my radar for awhile. Netflix! And I had doubts about the dragon movie. Kids' movies are a slippery slope, and will often bore me to tears. But EW gave it a decent grade. We just started our spring break, so maybe we will catch it!


  6. Nikola Says:

    First of all, what a WONDERFUL blog, especially the layout. It's divine!

    As for the comment itself, I absolutely hated The Hills Have Eyes. I thought it was really pathetic that they used these people physical anomalies to make them baddies/freaks/mental. Not only do I find that distasteful, I also find it discriminating. And sure it was frightening in certain places, but I've seen much better movies than these (I also can't bear a lot of horror - I get too scared!).


  7. Iliana Says:

    You know, I really love scary movies but not so much horror. So I think I'll pass on Hills Have Eyes but the Dragon one sounds cute :)


  8. Joanna Says:

    I watched The Hills have Eyes some time back and every scene still seems so fresh to me. Suffice to say, it was the first and last horror flick I ever watched because I have too weak a heart :P

    The dragon movie seems so cute. Now, THAT I might consider. Thanks for sharing. :)


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Thanks for telling us about How to Train a Dragon. I had no idea what it was about.


  10. Heidenkind Says:

    How to Train Your Dragon isn't showing in our city. :(


  11. Alice Says:

    Strangely I have no desire at all to watch HOW TO TRAIN A DRAGON. I know lots of good things have been said about the movie but still, I'm not sure why I hesitate to watch it... I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.


  12. Mrs Suvi Says:

    Oh goodness, I don't think I'd be able to watch Hills Have Eyes! I'm really scared of horror movies and have nightmares for weeks after watching them. So I'll pass!

    I was really looking forward to going to see How to Train Your Dragon with my son but turns out that he's too small to see it in Finland. You have to be over 9 years old which seems quite ridiculous.


  13. Debi Says:

    I can't wait to see How to Train Your Dragon. My son has read some of her books and really enjoyed them, but hasn't read that one yet.

    As for The Hills Have Eyes--NO WAY! ;) I saw the original when I was a kid--what on earth my parents were thinking taking my brother and me to the drive-in to see that movie, I will NEVER understand! *shudder*


  14. Andreea Says:

    I haven't seen these movies. Thanks for the review!


  15. The Bookworm Says:

    How to Train Your Dragon sounds cute!
    I watched the Hills Have Eyes and it creeped me out.
    Great reviews :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  16. Anna Says:

    My husband and I watched The Hills Have Eyes (the new one) awhile back. I thought it was boring at the beginning and then there was the violence, so much violence packed into a few minutes it was like they were trying to see what they could get away with and still keep an R rating. It made me sick to my stomach and I had to make my husband turn it off.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric


  17. bermudaonion Says:

    I kind of want to go see How to Train Your Dragon - it looks good to me.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.