Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about dust jackets.

Do you prefer books with a dust jacket? What do you do with your dust jacket while reading? Leave it on or take it off? (Question courtesy of Kim from Page after Page)

I love hardcovers; I think they make a great collection and not to mention their dust jackets are usually glossy and pretty to look at. The only issue I have with dust jackets is that they crinkle easily. And another thing is, the dust jacket does not really stay in place while reading so I always take it off and only put it back only after I have finished reading the book.

What about you?



Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia from The Printed Page where readers are to share the books that came into their house last week.

These are what I received last week (all bought from The Book Depository) :

1) A Novel Idea by Aimee Friedman

2) Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

1) Gone by Mo Hayder


What books came into your house last week?

14 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I love to have dust jacket on my hardcovers too. Lot of them, as I agree with you are really pretty, bold and georgous too. But I deal with the same problem with you when holding hardcovers with dust jacket. I worry about it being crinkled too. So when I read hardcovers I usually take off the dust jacket and put it back on the book when am done with say book. Those are great list of books in your Mailbox Monday. Is that Mo Hayder latest book? I know you are fan of her :)



  2. Jenny Says:

    When I was in middle school, and I helped in my school library, I learned that you can buy those plastic dust jacket covers that library books have. So I buy those and cover all my dust jackets with them, so they are protected forever!

    (Geeky, I know.)


  3. I tend to prefer trade paperback copies over hardbacks, but I do have quite a few hardbacks in my collection. Like you, I always take the dust jacket off when I read the book. Since I tend to stuff my books in my purse, it's safer to keep them off. And like you mention, they really do crinkle easily--and fall off.

    Look at all those wonderful books! I can't wait to read your thoughts on them when you get to them, Melody.


  4. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, I also take off the book jacket (only in rare cases) and put it back on after I'm done with it. That's if the book is still unprotected with plastic wrap, but I all my books.

    I bought a couple of books last week from Book Depository too for my American Journey Challenge, and hope to get them in the next few weeks. :D


  5. I collect dust jackets - so I HAVE to take them off! :)

    Here is my answer.


  6. DanaB Says:

    I like cover art...but I don't care for the dust jackets, they get in my way!

    ~~

    http://mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com/


  7. DanaB Says:

    Love your blog design, by the way!!
    ~


  8. MizB Says:

    Nice new books! I have the first two on my TBR list! You'll have to let me know what you think of them. :D

    ~MizB


  9. Lori Says:

    Dust Jackets don't bother me. Here's myMailbox Moday and Musing Monday.


  10. Ceri Says:

    I agree. I love covers and I love how glossy a jacket is. :) I use the jacket flaps as quick bookmarks too if I can't find a real one.

    Loving the look of the books you got. :D


  11. The Bookworm Says:

    lol...I cant stand crinkly dust jackets on books!

    great mailbox, I like the cover on A Novel Idea.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  12. Ana S. Says:

    I remove dust jackets when reading, yes. I didn't use to, but now I'm pickier about the condition of my books :P


  13. Violet Says:

    I remove jackets too, its very inconvenient, besides I don't want to spoil them.

    You will Love Going too far, I will look forward to your review :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.