Melody
ISBN-13: 9780385738354
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Published: January 2010
352 pgs
Source: Personal Library




With a combination of mystery and character study, All Unquiet Things marked one of my most unforgettable reads this year. This story basically revolves around three teenagers; a murdered 16-year-old Carly, her ex-boyfriend, Neily and her cousin, Audrey.

Audrey's father is convicted of Carly's murder. But even after a year has passed, Audrey still believes her father is innocent and she hopes to find out the truth about everything, even if that means she has to approach Neily for assistance. Audrey has never been close with Neily right from the beginning, and on top of that Carly dumped Neily for another guy and she is not sure if Neily is still feeling bitter about everything. It turns out that Neily is still feeling guilty about not taking Carly's call before her death, and Audrey's request somewhat seems like a remedy thus they agreed to do an investigation of Carly's death.

However, in order to find out the truth, Neily and Audrey has to find out what secrets did Carly harbour, and what she was doing with the dangerous popular crowd before her death. Suddenly, everyone in that crowd becomes their suspect. But the most complex issue of all is, Neily and Audrey have to be honest and trust each other, including to their own self.

All Unquiet Things was a page-turner through and through, and I wished I had the time to read it all in one sitting. What makes this book such a gripping read (besides the premise, that is) is that it is told from Neily and Audrey's perspective in different sections. I find this pretty effective as the readers get to understand their thoughts and emotions through their respective narrative, besides their findings on Carly's murderer.

The dangerous crowd which Carly mixed with before her death is also another interesting read. Each character appears to be troubled and seems to have an agenda of their own, and I was glad that I was able to figure out the real murderer towards reading the half of the book. Anna Jarzab has done a great job in crafting this story, but I think it is her observations of the characters (their thoughts, emotions and behaviours) that really made this story stands out.

All Unquiet Things is a must read for any YA readers who love a good mystery. I will definitely keep a lookout for Anna Jarzab's new releases in the near future.

(Please click here to read what other readers have said about this book.)

15 Responses
  1. Veens Says:

    Great review! I am glad you liked this one as I loved the cover and the premise as well.

    I am putting this one in my wish list for sure!


  2. Melody Says:

    Veens - Thanks, Veens! I love the premise and the cover too! I'm glad you're putting this onto your wishlist! :)


  3. Ana S. Says:

    This sounds like a fantastic read. I'm all about character-oriented mysteries.


  4. Andreea Says:

    I like the sound of it and I also enjoyed your review!


  5. Darlene Says:

    Great review Melody. This one sounds so good. Another for that way too long list of mine!


  6. Alice Says:

    That's an interesting YA read. Thanks for the review!


  7. Joanna Says:

    A really great review ! I've been hearing about this book for some time now and after reading your review, I might just pick it up one of these days :)


  8. S. Krishna Says:

    I really enjoyed this one as well. Great review!


  9. Beth F Says:

    This sounds great. I love stories told from different points of view.


  10. The Bookworm Says:

    Great review Mel. It sounds like an interesting book!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  11. Ceri Says:

    Ooh, I do like the sound of this, Mel. :D Great review. You always review books that sound so great and then I want to track them down! hehe


  12. I came across this one in the store the other day but decided to pass it up. Now I wish I hadn't! This sounds like an interesting book. I like it when authors really get into the heads and motive of their characters. It makes for a more enriching read.


  13. Darlyn Says:

    i dont know about this book, really. but your review is good and makes me intrigued to read this myself soon or later. great review melody!


  14. Melody Says:

    Hi, everyone! I apologise for not replying on a one-to-one basis, but I want to let you know I appreciate all your comments! :)

    I hope you will enjoy reading this book when you get to it, as you can tell I liked this book.


  15. Julia Says:

    This sound like an intruging book. I do wonder what did Carly know that lead up to her murder. And how Neily and Audrey find out who the murderer is/was. :) Great review!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.