Melody

Random House | May 2014
Source: Library


OK, I've to admit my curiosity was piqued after reading several positive reviews of this book. With the story mostly set in Singapore and that it was written by a Singaporean author, I felt the more I should read it. For this review, allow me to use a few Singaporean slang (or Singlish) since I felt it appropriate considering that's the prose of this book (don't worry, the author includes footnote). 

To begin with, Crazy Rich Asians is a fun read. So what is the story about, har*? Basically, it's a story about some very rich families and their family dynamics and most of all, a love story between a crazy rich guy, Nicholas Young, and a clueless woman, Rachel Chu, who doesn't know his family background, lah*. Actually there shouldn't be any problem when love is concerned, after all what matters most is your love for your partner and vice versa, right? Wrong! At least not when Nicholas' family is concerned. Given their power, wealth and their society status, it seems natural to want someone who is of a good match in terms of wealth and background. Although Rachel holds a good position as a college professor (like Nicholas, except they are in different departments teaching at NYU), what sets her apart is her nationality (she's a Mainland Chinese) and that she comes from a single parent family. The real challenge begins when Nicholas decides to bring Rachel to Singapore to attend his best friend's wedding and "all hell breaks loose" when his family members (including a string of extended meddling relatives) decide to know (dig, to be precise) more about Rachel's background and there are enough gossips, clashes and backbiting to rip a person apart. 
"Well, first of all, you must understand that there are two kinds of Chinese. There are the Chinese from Mainland China, who made their fortunes in the past decade like all the Russians, but then there are the Overseas Chinese. These are the ones who left China long before the Communists came in, in many cases hundreds of years ago, and spread throughout the rest of Asia, quietly amassing great fortunes over time." Pg 33
Aside from the complications of the couple's love relationship, this story also gives readers more than a glimpse of the mindset and status of these rich Chinese families; about the difference of old money and new money, and some conservative mindsets when family roots are concerned.

Urm, so Crazy Rich Asians may seem like a chicklit fiction (I don't like this definition, lah*) to some but it was actually quite a funny and entertaining read (at least to me) and an "eye-opening reading experience" (to foreigner readers). While there is nothing new about the family dynamics issue (Aiyah*, I suppose it happens everywhere), it is the culture, the society, the language (as well as all those local dishes mentioned) that set this novel apart and made it such an interesting read. There's also a second book, China Rich Girlfriend, and although it looks interesting (it follows Rachel's story and her birth origin), I guess I'll read it when the mood strikes, lah*. (I'm blaming it on my TBR pile and a library book I've borrowed lately.)

* har / lah is a common and a favourite form of expression to emphasise especially towards the end of the sentence. They don't really mean anything. 

* Aiyah - "sigh," "well," "oh man...," or "blah".

For more Singlish, visit this link.


© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    This sounds fascinating, almost like Kdrama with comedy and family interference all mixed in. I will keep Crazy Rich Asians in mind! Thanks for the link to more Singlish, Melody!
    :) And your postcard arrived.


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    This one sounds entertaining and like it gives the reader a peek into a different culture. Glad you enjoyed it!


  3. I really like the sound of this one, Melody. As Naida suggested, it offers a peek into a culture I know little about. Thank you for bringing this one to my attention--and for your great review!


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, it does reminds me some of those KDrama melodrama, lol. I received your letter! Glad my postcard has finally arrived! ;)


  5. Melody Says:

    Naida - Yes, it was an entertaining read. At times I was shaking my head while reading it. Some of these characters are a bit too much over the top.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy it if you get to it, Wendy.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I enjoyed this so much more than I expected to! Conspicuous consumption in an American setting rarely if ever does anything for me, and I was concerned that I would have a similarly hard time enjoying it when it's happening in Singapore. But the total unfamiliarity of the setting, plus the family stuff, plus the descriptions of ALL THE THINGS, made it a really enjoyable read. I liked the sequel too! I can't wait for the miniseries to happen!


  8. Lark Says:

    This does sound kind of entertaining. And not knowing anything about Singapore and its culture---other than having aimlessly strolled through Singapore's airport for several hours waiting for a flight---I find the setting intriguing.


  9. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I wasn't sure about this book initially but I was curious because I rarely read a book set in Singapore, let alone a local author. I'm glad you enjoyed his books. Now waiting for the mood to read his sequel.


  10. Melody Says:

    Lark - I hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Lark.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.