Melody

Based on a five-part series novel of the same name and with the time period set in the 19th century during the Joseon Dynasty, this drama tells a coming-of-age story between a young Crown Prince and a girl who disguised as a young man due to her family matters involving the nation's politics. 

19-year-old Crown Prince Lee Yeong (starring Park Bo-gum) has never been interested in the nation's affairs and what's happening in the palace; his cold and aloof attitude is most commonly known to all minister officials and court servants especially after the passing of his mother, the late Queen Yoon. 

Hong Ra-on (starring Kim Yoo-jung) is a 18-year-old girl who earns her living by doing some street performing and writing love letters on behalf of her mostly men clients. Her mother has abandoned her since young for her security purposes (this issue will come to light as the story progresses) and she has little memories of her father who had left home years ago. 

A chance encounter with the Crown Prince has set her heart race for a different reason, for she has mistook him as the lover of one of her male clients, in which is a misunderstanding as from the other end the Crown Prince is trying to find out who is fervently writing love letters to his younger sister, Princess Myung-eun. The next time when Ra-on encounters the Crown Prince, she has became one of the eunuchs in the palace due to an unfortunate incident and their destiny begins from there.


This drama appealed to me on many levels and the main attraction to me is the differences between the Crown Prince and Ra-on not only of their positions but also the disguised gender when Ra-on first met him. Since this is also a story about power and greed, needless to say there are lots of conspiracies and backstabbing in the foreground but I have to say the highlights of this drama is the friendship and sacrifices of the two friends surrounding the Crown Prince and then of course, the forbidden love between the Crown Prince and Ra-on. 

I found myself warmed up to the character of the Crown Prince rather quickly despite his arrogance in the beginning; and of course it doesn't hurt to say he was very charismatic and an eye candy so to speak. Ra-on amazed me with her optimism and her outlooks in life despite several unfavourable circumstances but in the end she always managed to overcome them. I loved the ending but left me wondering about her (ambiguous) position.

(My novel box-set, which I have yet to read)
(作者:尹梨修,译者:莊曼淳)


© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
4 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I haven't finished this drama, but love the characters. :) Thanks for the recommendation, Melody!


  2. I don't know what it is about disguised gender stories, but they really appeal to me. This sounds like a wonderful series, Melody.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, me too! Hope you enjoy the rest of the drama. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm always drawn to disguised gender stories and am always curious of the intentions behind them. I just hope I'll make some time for the Chinese translation of this series; I've been occupied with books I want to read badly lately. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.