Melody

Random House Publishing Group | March 2016 | 464 pgs
Source: Library



The book opens with our heroine, Agnieszka, worrying over her best friend's safety and the fact that they might not be able to see each other again. For every ten years, a young woman will be chosen to hand over to Dragon; who is known to be a powerful and immortal wizard who will keep their village from any harms of the corrupted Wood. The Wood is mystical on its own; filled with fantastical creatures and botanical plants that would devour humans and make them a changed person even if they could make it out of the Wood alive. 

When the next choosing is approaching, Agnieszka is the one who is chosen, much to everyone's surprise, including Agnieszka herself for she thinks herself ordinary and not as beautiful and talented as her best friend, Kasia. 

What follows next is Agnieszka's attempts in adapting to her new life as Dragon's apprentice as she begins to learn magic and during those moments of togetherness has also allows her to see another side of Dragon; for he is not as cold and menacing as what the others think about him. Agnieszka soon realises that the threat from the Wood is turning onto them quickly and they have to do something before the whole of their village becomes corrupted. 

Uprooted has all the elements a fantasy fan would ask for - folk stories, magic, an original, fantastic world building and interesting characters and premise which will not only makes your heart race but also be moved by the story itself. What I find rewarding is although this is a fantasy, it also seems very much of a real-life story that touches on humanity, bravery and the different conceptions we see no matter what time era is; fictional or not. Agnieszka is a wonderful character and I enjoyed seeing how she developed both mentally and emotionally. Dragon is another character whom I liked but takes time to grow on me, due to his misconceptions in the beginning of the story. I also enjoyed reading the friendship between Agnieszka and Kasia; their relationship reminds me more of siblings than good friends and some of their actions touched me a lot. 

All in all, Uprooted was a wonderful read. Naomi Novik is also the author of the bestselling and critically acclaimed Temeraire series and although I haven't read any of them, I was glad I read this standalone and would check out her Temeraire series in the near future. 



© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Melody! I enjoyed the first of the Temeraire series, then lost interest in the later books, but I loved Uprooted!


  2. I am so glad you liked this one. It is on my must read list that I keep kicking myself for not yet getting to. I love the premise and idea of this book, and haven't heard a bad thing about it. I hope my expectations aren't too high. LOL


  3. Rebecca Says:

    Isn't this a wonderful read? It's beautiful and dark - so dark. The Wood was utterly creepy. Glad you enjoyed it!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'


  4. Iliana Says:

    This really sounds like a lot of fun. I don't read fantasy much but have to keep this one on my radar for when I want to venture out in my reading :)


  5. Lark Says:

    This sounds like a fun fantasy read. Especially with the three main characters. Am definitely writing this one down! :)


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I first heard about this one being highly praised on Lark's Bookwyrm's Hoard. She loved it and has recommended it to me. It sounds like a fantasy I could get into, and being stand-alone makes it easier to try :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I'm glad I read this too! Such a good story with interesting characters. Hmm, I think I'll have to read the first Temeraire book and see if I want to read the rest. Sometimes, even if I enjoy the first book it'll take me a while to get to the rest as there are so many great choices when it comes to books and they can be a huge distraction. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm like you but when I found this book in the library I knew I've to pick it up. Looking forward to your thoughts when you get to it. :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Rebecca - Yes, I enjoyed it so much! I admit some aspects are dark but there's also some good things aside from it so it's all well balanced.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog, Rebecca. :)


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I hope you'll give this book a try one day, Iliana. :)


  11. Melody Says:

    Lark - It was a great read! Loved the story and the characters! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Rita - I feel it's always good to start with a standalone first if I'm not familiar with the author and I'm so glad this one exceeds my expectation. I hope you'll read this one day and enjoy it. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.