Melody





ISBN-13: 9781401309169
Publisher: Hyperion
Published: November 2007
501pp






Holly and Gerry are so in love with each other. In other people's eyes, they made a perfect couple. However, things change when Gerry found himself diagnosed with brain cancer. He died at 30. It is unfortunate since both of them are still so young. Holly is devastated; she just could not accept the truth and she also could not imagine her life without Gerry.

Just when Holly is still learning to cope after his death, she received a telephone call from her mother about a batch of mails addressed to her. When she realised they came from Gerry, she is in for a shock. Apparently they had been written and sent before he died. And as per Gerry's instructions, Holly is to open only one letter each month in which each letter will help to guide her through her ups and downs and eventually to overcome her grief, for each letter is an encouragement to Holly. This makes Holly feels as if Gerry is back with her again.

Aside from these encouraging letters from Gerry, Holly also has a bunch of friends and supporting family members who care alot about her. These supporting characters and all the things they had done together for Holly contribute much to this story. This is not only a love story, but there is a lot more about friendship, grief and hope too.

Cecilia Ahern has written a moving and heartwarming story in P.S. I Love You. I have to admire Gerry's courage at the time he picked up his pen to write those letters to Holly as this shows how much he loved her and knowing that soon he would no longer be with her one day, he wanted her to be happy and strong. Though I am touched by Gerry's love for Holly, I feel that family members and friends are equally important too, though they might not be the ones whom we will spend with for the rest of our life.

After reading this novel, I think I will have to look out for the DVD.

Other Blogger(s) reviews:
15 Responses
  1. Marg Says:

    I read this a while ago, and quite liked it.

    My review is here


  2. Alice Says:

    I like this one a lot. Read it some years back.


  3. Melody Says:

    Marg - Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my post.

    Alice - Glad to hear you enjoyed this book as well.


  4. Julia Says:

    Glad to hear that you given the book a good grade. I think you will also like the movie too :) Great review!


  5. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Julia! It's a moving story. I'm really looking forward to watching the movie version. :)


  6. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I read this when it first came out but I still haven't seen the movie. I remember really loving the book though.


  7. Melody Says:

    Hi Jen! I'm glad that you enjoyed this book too. :)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I watched the film on the flight back from Toronto and cried most of the way home! I really enjoyed the film and made sure I bought it as soon as I got back on dvd. Must check the book out too. Glad you liked it :)


  9. Iliana Says:

    I don't know why I have avoided this book... I think it was around the time that I gave up on chick lit and assumed this was another chick lit novel. (I do read chick lit now but there was a run of some awful chick lit books there for a while!). Great review Melody. I'll have to add it and the movie to my list :)


  10. I watched this movie yesterday and here I find your review of the book! What a great coincidence! I thought the movie was really good--such a heartfelt story. I am glad you enjoyed the book.


  11. Melody Says:

    Rhinoa - I'm glad you enjoyed the film. The DVD is already on my wishlist! ;)

    Iliana - Initially I too thought it is a chick lit book but after hearing all the raves from other readers, I was glad I gave in. :)

    Wendy - Glad you enjoyed the movie too! Now the more reason I want to watch it. :)


  12. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, I'm curious how this adapts to film!


  13. Melody Says:

    Hehe...me too, Stephanie. ;)


  14. Josette Says:

    I liked this book too! I saw the movie somewhere and I plan to get it soon. Here's my review of the book. :)


  15. Melody Says:

    Thanks for your link, Josette. I can't wait to watch the movie, since I missed it when it was first released!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.