Melody

btt,btt

Another question inspired by the Bunch of Grapes on Martha’s Vineyard having burned down on the Fourth of July.

Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday?
Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip?
What/Where are they?

I love visiting bookstores while I am on vacation, no matter where I am! I always make it a point to look for a bookstore while visiting another country because it is always great to look at their interior and furnishings, and of course the various books they offer! And when I do get the chance to visit one, I will make sure to buy at least one book (or magazine) as a souvenir. It would be a bonus if I can find a book that cannot be found in our local bookstore.

I remember during our honeymoon in New Zealand, I bought two books that were on sale. But then, there was a time when I visited a place in Indonesia (I could not remember the name) and although I did find a bookstore, they only sell Malay books. Nevertheless, I still find it interesting to look around although I was disappointed that I could not buy anything back as a remembrance. I do not have any favourite bookstores, and as long as they sell books I am always eager and happy to browse around.

13 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, I always buy books too whenever I go vacation. Here are some of the past posts I did for my vacations:

    - Sydney (here, here and here)
    - Singapore (here)

    Even whenever I go to the KLIA airport, I would hop into the bookstore for a while and take a whiff at the books. LOL.

    Happy Friday!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I've vacationed on Martha's Vineyard before and find it so sad that it has burned down. Thanks for posting the link.


  3. Debi Says:

    Well, we never go anywhere nearly as exciting as you on our vacations, but we have to hit at least one bookstore on every vacation, too. It's kind of our way of relaxing during the evening after a busy day of sight-seeing or whatever.


  4. SmilingSally Says:

    I bought a couple of books when I went to England, but I forgot to mention that in my post.


  5. Ana S. Says:

    I love visiting bookstores when I'm on vacations too. In fact, wherever I go one of the first things I do is try and find out where the bookstores are. I was so disappointed earlier this week - I went looking for my favourite used bookstore here in Belo Horizonte and it's no longer there :(


  6. Melody Says:

    Alice - Thanks for sharing the links! I forgot to mention about the bookstores in airports! They're a must-go to me too! ;)

    Stephanie - I'd be sad too if the place I liked is no longer available to visit. :(

    Debi - I agree! I find visiting bookstores is a great place to relax, at least IMO. :D

    Smilingsal - I'm hoping to visit England in the near future!

    Nymeth - I understand your disappointment. I know I'd be too. I hope you've a wonderful vacation and I can't wait to hear the places you visit! :)


  7. Kat Says:

    I love poking at bookstores, no matter where they may be! :D And yes, I'll definitely buy a book while on vacation ^_^


  8. Melody Says:

    Kat - I don't recall not buying a book during my vacation, unless I couldn't find any bookstore in sight or they are published in foreign languages! ;)



  9. Julia Says:

    It always nice to buy books that is tell info fact about the places that you visit...I hope someday I be able to travle around the world if given the chance.

    Did you remember the two books that you brought from New Zealand that was on sale? Happy BTTs! Have a good weekend!


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I seriously think I need to vacation more, even if just for the reason to have a good excuse to buy a great bookish souvenir.


  11. I love exploring bookstores in towns I visit. I wonder what I will find when I go to Hawaii.


  12. Melody Says:

    Chris - Thanks for your comments. :)

    Julia - I'm sure you will someday! :) Well, I couldn't remember the titles I bought... you know I've a short memory, LOL.

    Natasha - Vacations and book shoppings always go well together IMO! ;P

    Wendy - I can't wait to read about your trip to Hawaii! I'm sure you'll have a great time there. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.