Melody
ISBN-13: 9780340924785
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Published: 2008
553pp



From the blurb:

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID shows she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

Plenty of murder cases turn into battles of wits, but this was different. My real opponent wasn't the murderer but the victim: perfectly matched against me in every way, too close to call . . .


The previous instalment, In the Woods had left a deep impression on me. Never mind if Rob Ryan, the protagonist's mysterious past is not really solved (I understand there is a controversy on this issue), for I think Tana French has her reason for doing so and this might be just one of her styles. Anyway, I enjoyed the story. When I knew there would be a sequel to it, I was overjoyed.

Although this story is about Detective Cassie Maddox working as an undercover, it actually revolves more on Lexie Madison's life being a graduate student and her close relationship with her other four friends. They live under the same roof and are co-owners of the old house which was left by one of their families. The latter further dictates how close they are.

However, Lexie has her own secrets and one minor mistake has led her to her own death. Cassie fits into Lexie's world perfectly; and she is determined to find out the killer for she is certain he or she lives amongst them but she is getting too emotionally involved, as you would read from the passage below that reflects her thoughts:

"When you're too close to people, when you spend too much time with them and love them too dearly, sometimes you can't see them."

I think this is one price to pay when an undercover is working way too deep into the case. Sometimes, they get too involved so much so that it muddles their minds and ruin their judgements if they are not being careful. But I think the scariest part is the sacrifices an undercover has to made whenever there is a call for it, e.g. doing drugs; not that Cassie is doing them that is.

I liked Cassie; she is one heck of an undercover. She has guts, and she is not really afraid of consequences. Reading about her relationship with Sam shows her vulnerable side, for there is a time she is tied between work and love and she has to make a choice.

The Likeness is a mesmerising page-turner. It is more than a whodunit story; it focuses more on humanity issues and then of course, the friendship 'Lexie' had with her mates.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best crime thrillers I read this year. I would highly recommend this author to anyone.


Other blog reviews:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How is everyone doing? I surely miss reading all your blogs! Also, thank YOU for the well wishes! For the past few days, I have been doing nothing but spending time with my baby, napping and catching up on my reading. Life could not get any better! Just imagine I will be doing these for 16 weeks, as this is the amended maternity leave (used to be 12 weeks) implemented by the government on 17 August this year. I hope I would not turn into a couch potato by then, haha.

My baby is doing well. She sleeps a lot during the daytime, and well night feeding is no joke! But I guess I will get used to it.

Also, I apologise if I do not get to visit your blog as much as usual, but I will try to whenever if I get the chance. Till next time!
12 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Woot! Good to see you and good to know that everything is well with you and baby. :D

    I like the sound of the book. I might just read Tana Fench one of these days. Thanks for the review!

    Do visit whenever you can ya. Will be missing you. :D


  2. Julia Says:

    Hey Melody - I sure do miss you too! Glad to hear that you and the baby are doing fine. Please do spent all your times you can with your baby, she need you. You take care of yourself and family first before you come back here. But do post whenever you able to :)

    Great review by the way! Read plenty more of books!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I read the first book based on your recommendation and now look forward to picking up a copy of this one! Thanks!


  4. Iliana Says:

    Melody you are wonder woman - look at you with a new baby, but still reading & posting reviews!

    So glad to hear all is going well with the little one.

    I'm hoping to start The Likeness sometime this week. So glad to hear you enjoyed it!


  5. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I've heard a lot about In the Woods but this sounds even cooler lol! Glad to here you and the baby are doing well!


  6. Ana S. Says:

    Hi Melody! It's so good to hear from you. You have nothing to apologize for. I can't think of a better reason to be away from the computer! I'm very glad to hear you and your lovely baby are doing okay :)

    And I'm glad you enjoyed the book too!


  7. Melody Says:

    Alice - Tana French's books are great! I'm hoping you'd read her books soon! :)

    Julia - I sure miss everyone!! ;) Thanks for your understanding. {Hugs}

    Stephanie - I think this one is better than the last!! I hope you'll enjoy this and I look forward to reading your review soon. :)

    Iliana - LOL! I can't do that without the help from the confinement lady! She's only here for a month and once she has left, I'll be all on my own. Hopefully I'd be able to be a 'wonder woman' then, haha! :P

    Jen - It is!! I really love this book. ;) Tana French is one of my favourite authors now.

    Nymeth - I'm so glad to hear from you ladies too!! It seems like a long time to me, hehe...


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Melody, we miss you but your only obligation right now is to enjoy that precious baby (and sleep and read of course!)

    Great review. I guess I didn't realize until reading your review that The Likeness was actually a sequel to In the Woods.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Enjoy that baby!! So glad to know that things are going well (besides those night feedings!). Get plenty of rest!


  10. Debi Says:

    Oh my goodness, Melody! I take a little blogging break and look what you go and do...give birth to the most incredibly beautiful little girl I could imagine! Congratulations, to you and your husband and the new big sister! I just couldn't be happier for you, sweetie! Enjoy every second! And don't worry one iota about visiting us here in blogland...we'll still be here when you've got a little more time on your hands.


  11. Hi, Melody! I hope you and your family are well. Thank you for the great review! I am really looking forward to reading this one.


  12. Melody Says:

    Shana - Thank you! :) I hope you'd read Tana French's books soon! I really enjoyed reading them!

    Natasha - Thank you! :)

    Debi - Thanks! No wonder I haven't been seeing you around... I hope you enjoyed your little break. :)

    Wendy - I can't wait to read your review on this! ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.