Melody

Booking Through Thursday

Okay–here was an interesting article by Christopher Schoppa in the Washington Post.

Avid readers know all too well how easy it is to acquire books — it’s the letting go that’s the difficult part. … During the past 20 years, in which books have played a significant role in both my personal and professional lives, I’ve certainly had my fair share of them (and some might say several others’ shares) in my library. Many were read and saved for posterity, others eventually, but still reluctantly, sent back out into the world.

But there is also a category of titles that I’ve clung to for years, as they survived numerous purges, frequent library donations and countless changes of residence. I’ve yet to read them, but am absolutely certain I will. And should. When, I’m not sure, as I’m constantly distracted by the recent, just published and soon to be published works.

So, the question is his: "What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?"

Till now I do not know how many unread books I have in my shelves (and in our storage room as well), but I know some of them have been with me for quite a number of years.

One of my co-workers ever said this to me: "I don't buy books until I've finished reading them. I don't like them taking up my space." Well, for me (and I am sure for all of you booklovers too), it is completely the opposite. Not surprisingly, the books pile up as the years pass by. Actually I am quite proud of my acquisitions throughout these years. I treat them as a collection; it is the same like some people collect limited edition toys or antiques (just that the values are different!).

I wish I can go through all the piles and list out the books which have been waiting patiently for my reading all these years, but I think the following list will have to do:

  • Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  • The Villa by Nora Roberts [2002]
  • Hot Ice by Nora Roberts [1987]
  • Ritual Sins by Anne Stuart [1997]
  • Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton [1983-present]

What about you? What books are sitting on your shelves?

21 Responses
  1. Ladytink_534 Says:

    "I know some of them have been with me for quite a number of years." Yeah, me too. At last count I have almost 200 books I own but haven't read... and yet I still keep placing those library loans lol!!!

    Gone with the Wind and Jane Eyre are good books. I read them in middle school and would love to re-read them someday.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I've got Mansfield Park and Jane Eyre on my list as well. After reading two Austens this fall, I'll put her aside for a while.

    It's been a very long time since I read Gone with the Wind, which I never reviewed. I think I need to re-read.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I have never even tried reading any Jane Austen, so many people talk about how dull the books have been, although I know that is only an opinion.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I have Mansfield Park in my shelf too. It is just a book i have been wanting to read for a long time. But I just bought it, so it hasn't been with me for years.


  5. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, I have all of Jane Austen's books in my TBR and they're indeed waiting patiently to be read. LOL. Aha... *nods* we booklovers are the complete opposite. We just love to have books on standby for us to read so it's never a question to keep buying them. :D


  6. Melody Says:

    Jen - This is one reason why I stop going to libraries anymore. I don't think I'm able to track the due date, LOL.

    Matt - I want to read Gone with the Wind but I think the thickness of the book refrain me from doing so earlier, hehe.

    Social Frog - I love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice so I'd recommend this if you want to give her books a try. :)

    Violetcrush - I can't wait to hear your review if you've read it. :)

    Alice - Which book(s) have you read by Jane Austen so far? And of course, the more books the merrier! :D


  7. SmilingSally Says:

    I could read a book in the time it'd take me to make a list of the unread.


  8. Darla Says:

    Wow. I've read all of those except Ritual Sins. Cool. I hope you get to them soon--I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of them.


  9. Josette Says:

    I love, love, love Jane Eyre! It's one of my favourite romance stories which is quite interesting since I'm not really a fan of the romance genre!


  10. Anonymous Says:

    Another Jane Eyre fan here.

    I really want to read Gone with the Wind too.


  11. Anonymous Says:

    I collect books like you do -- they are some of my treasures.

    I LOVE Jane Eyre -- I just got around to it last year and would love to reread it. I also just made my way through all of Austen's books in the last few years. Mansfield Park and Persuasion were my favorites of hers.

    I have a friend who reads a lot of Nora Roberts and I keep thinking I ought to give her a try, but haven't yet.



  12. I seem to be a collector as well, since I have a hard time parting with any of them.

    The Grafton series is one I have started to collect just this year (I've only read 'A' lol)


  13. Iliana Says:

    I'm like you Melody - I'm proud of my unread stacks :)

    I'm embarrassed to admit how many unread books I have and how long some of those have been in the unread pile! haha...


  14. Ohhh, GWTW IS a tome!! I read that a couple years ago and it took months (of course I was also in my first semester of grad school). It's worth it, though. I haven't read any of the others except Jane Eyre (loved it!), but I do have a couple of those Austen books on the shelf. I love the idea of her but I just can't get into the books.


  15. Anonymous Says:

    You have a couple of my favorites on your list: Gone with the Wind and Jane Eyre. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did.


  16. Kim L Says:

    Oh dear, that is a great number of books you should be reading. I have my own stack of books but I don't know if I'd be able to let the Austen books sit for so long!


  17. Melody Says:

    Sally - LOL.

    Darla - Wow! How I wish I had read all of them, but it has to take some time, hehe.

    Josette - Now you've piqued my curiosity!! ;)

    Shana - I should've read Gone with the Wind earlier if I'm not intimidated with the thickness of the book, hmph! LOL.

    Barbara - I think I need to read Austen's book one of these days... and I hope you'll try Nora's books, they're great. :)

    Gautami - Yep, I hear you! :D

    Joanne - At least you've started on Sue's books! I need to catch up on her series one of these days. ;)

    Iliana - Hehe...me too.

    Trish - Another Jane Eyre's fan! Seems like I need to read this book soon! ;P

    Mangomissives - I'm sure I will enjoy Gone with the Wind and Jane Eyre since so many readers have been raving about them. :)

    Kim - I know what you mean. ;P


  18. I am with you, Melody. I love to be surrounded by books and so have amassed quite a collection of them. :-)


  19. Julia Says:

    I have read all of them except for Sue Grafton books. I also have seen the movies too :)

    Good luck in reaching those books you have left sitting in your TBR pile for all those many years.

    I didn't play but I can tell you that some of the example books that sitting the longest TBR pile are : Lisa Gardner's series books. Allison Brennan's series (or maybe trilogy) books and the last two of Christine Feehan's Ghoswalker (The Game series) books


  20. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I'm glad we share the same sentiments. :D

    Julia - Oh, I didn't know that Sue Grafton's books are made into movies. I'm sure they're great! I haven't read the books you mentioned except Christine Feehan's. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.