Melody
ISBN-10: 155166951X
Publisher: Mira
Published: 1995
250pgs


From the blurb:

Mitch Peabody was learning pretty fast that the life of a private detective was not all it was cracked up to be. Cheating husbands, suspicious wives, unsuspecting mistresses -- case after case left him cynical and disillusioned. This was nothing like the world of tough-talking detectives and smart-mouthed, stunning dames he'd envisioned . . . until she walked through the door.

Right down to her stilettos, Mae Sullivan was a knockout with a lethal body -- and a lethal family to go with it. There was something not quite on the up-and-up about her, but she came with a case he couldn't afford to refuse . . . and left him with a case of lust like he hadn't had since high school. It didn't take long for him to fall for her, hook, line and sinker. But was Mae only interested in catching the double-crossing crooks who murdered her uncle . . . or did the lady want to catch him?



It has been some time since I have read a romance novel. So the other day, I pulled out this book from my to-be-read pile because I have read a lot of good reviews about Jennifer Crusie's books.

So what made me pick up this book? Well, I love reading anything about private detectives. There is just something alluring about them, be it the heroes or the heroines. In this story, Mitch Peabody is engaged by the heroine, Mae Sullivan, to find out the death of her Uncle Armand and the mysterious disappearance of his diary.

After seeing nothing but numerous divorce cases, Matt is getting a little tired of his so-called job although it does not hurt he is doing so to win a bet. Just when he thought life is getting him to nowhere, Mae walks into his life (or into his office) and asked him to investigate a case. Mitch is intrigued by her at first glance, but that is because Mae is nothing like the women he met. Mae has the looks but most of all, she has a smart mouth. Mitch is not sure if he should be attracted or annoyed with her witty trait, but he is sure interested to find out more about her, besides the case that is.

What the Lady Wants is a fun read, after all Jennifer Crusie's books are known for their humour. The barb exchanges and the chemistry between Mitch and Mae are entertaining; however as much as I enjoyed this book, Mae's whiny attitude put me off at times. Still, her mob relatives are great supporting characters and they add some 'spice' to the story. I would recommend this book to any readers who wants a sheer escapism and a quick read.




Friday Fill-Ins

1. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good.
2. A beautiful scenic place is where I want to be.
3. How does one describe love?
4. My family keeps me on track.
5. Please don't stop reading.
6. My two daughters fills me with joy.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to catching up on the TV shows, tomorrow my plans include having a family and friends' gathering at our place and Sunday, I want to spend time with my family!

8 Responses
  1. Shana Says:

    Mel, I've only read two books by Crusie but they both featured a smart, sarcastic, quick-witted female lead character paired with a good-looking anti-hero.

    And lots of barbed exchanges and sexual chemistry.

    Formulaic, maybe, but definitely great escapism :)

    Shana
    Literarily


  2. Ana S. Says:

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Melody! It's not the kind of book I normally pick up, but it does sound very entertaining.

    Have a nice weekend and enjoy your time with your family :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Shana - I didn't read a lot of Crusie's books either but I agree most of her characters bear almost the same personality.

    Nymeth - It is entertaining, not to mention it's a light and quick read too.

    Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)


  4. Iliana Says:

    I've had some friends recommend Cruise - I think if you are looking for something just fun they sound like the perfect fit. I'll have to keep her on my radar :)

    Hope you had a great weekend with your family!


  5. I love that cover! I haven't heard of this book or the author, but it sounds like a really fun read! I'll definitely have to keep it in mind.


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Jennifer Crusie's books sure are fun to read. :) I laughed a lot when reading this book, although the heroine pissed me off at some times, haha.

    Trish - I love that cover too! :) I hope you'll enjoy her books.


  7. Julia Says:

    OH MY GOOOO...NESS! Did you just said you looking forward to catching up on the TV shows?!
    :::thuds::: ! What TV shows have you been watching? You never told me lol....

    I haven't read that Jennifer Crusie book, you just review. Not even sure if it's in my TBR pile. But I know I have few of her books somewhere in my mountain TBR pile *grin*


  8. Melody Says:

    Julia - I just did, hehe... it's been some time since I'd really sit down and enjoy a TV show. Usually I'll watch the local drama serials. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.