Melody
NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is celebrating its 10 years of literary abandon this year! Wow, how time flies! For all writing lovers (and to anyone who is interested as well), I am wondering if you have signed up for this big event that is happening in the month of November every year? If you have not, then what are you waiting for?

I first signed up as a member two years ago, and I really enjoyed the fun and the thrill of writing a 50,000-words novel in a month. I could very well remember some of those nights I pounded on the keyboards ferociously as if there is no tomorrow when my husband thought I was insane to do such things to torture myself, haha. But I feel it was a great accomplishment, never mind if the so-called manuscripts have dozens of typographical errors or if they are grammatically incorrect. I still feel I had completed a goal, even though there is no reward but a downloadable certificate and a button to certify that you are a winner!

No matter how much I love to join, unfortunately I would have to give it a miss this year with the new baby and all... (night typing will be replaced by night feeding!) but I will be a good cheerleader and cheer you on!

If you are residing in Singapore, there is a kick-off party on 1st November (Saturday) at 2.30pm-5pm at Geek Terminal (http://www.geekterminal.com/). They have contests, goodie bags (while stocks last) and stickers from the main HQ of Nanowrimo. (Please click here to let the Municipal Liaisons (ML) know you are signing up.)

Have fun and good luck!
Labels: edit post
13 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I am not much of a writer. I love to write but i know my limitations :)

    Have you ever thought of publishing the book you wrote? so what if it is for a contest.

    I know an author (Peter Jobes) who has published the novel he had writen for the same contest.

    It's such a great platform for people who love to write and are looking for some motivation.


  2. Alice Says:

    I don't think I'll be participating this year, Melody. :)

    Good luck to all other participants!


  3. Debi Says:

    I'm sorry you have to miss it this year, Melody...but I can't think of a better reason!

    My daughter's going to do it again this year, and man is she excited!


  4. Iliana Says:

    I can't believe it's in it's 10th year! Wow... I tried to participate one year and failed at around 2,000 words. ha. Oh well, cheering on those who try and don't worry Melody - you'll be able to catch up next year.


  5. Maybe next year, right? I told my sister about this and I think she might try to do it as well. Very exciting but I'm not brave enough. ;)


  6. Ana S. Says:

    I really want to do NaNo sometime. Not this year, but maybe the next or the one after that. How cool that you participated last year!


  7. Melody Says:

    Violetcrush - Thank you! Honestly it hasn't crossed my mind yet, but I did submit a few short stories to an ezine and two of them were published. :)

    Alice - I was hoping you'd join! Maybe next year? ;P

    Debi - Oh, that's great that Annie is participating this year! I can't wait to hear what she'll be writing! :D

    Iliana - Honestly I do not think it's a failure because you'd already made an effort of writing it. Perhaps next year you'll do better! :)

    Trish - You should try to do it. It's very exciting. ;)

    Nymeth - You know, maybe we should all join next year! ;P


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Mel, when I first saw the title of this post I thought you were participating! With a new baby!

    Yikes. Can you imagine? Have fun cheerleading this year :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Shana - There's no way I'm going to participate this year! (Although I'd very much love to...) LOL.


  10. Cmate Says:

    Weee! I have been waiting for ages long to take part!


  11. Julia Says:

    I don't think I'll be participating this year, either Melody. Too much busy with everything around the house and my life, no times. Although I have said too many times thatI will participate someday, I really would love to do it.


  12. Stephanie Says:

    No way I'm participating. Not that I don't like writing, but I just don't think I'm creative enough to come up with any good ideas!!

    Spending time with baby is probably be a pretty decent substitute!!


  13. Melody Says:

    Cmate - That's great! I can't wait to hear what you're writing... :)

    Julia - You always say the same thing, LOL! Hopefully next year... ;P

    Stephanie - Come on...I think you do! You always have interesting things to say for your reviews. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.