Melody

Teaser Tuesdays


TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!


My teaser sentences for today:

"The night is mine, my own time, to do with as I will, as long as I am quiet. As long as I don't move." ~ The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Pg 37)



Musing Mondays

THIS week’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a “reading” survey, and what it had to say…

I recently read an article (here), that I found through BiblioAddict’s blog, that talked of "why women read more than men". In it, author Ian McEwan is quoted saying:

“When women stop reading, the novel will be dead.”

Do you believe this to be true? Why, or why not?

Maybe, but personally I do not think it is true (at least my frequent visits to the bookstores tells me so). I wonder if it is because women have more options to choose from (e.g. romance, chick-lit genres) and also, I read it from somewhere that romance is one of the bestselling genres so perhaps these are the reasons why it appears that women read more than men. But then, there are some men who read romance too (if only they do not appear to be embarrassed by it).

What do you think? I would love to hear your opinions.

8 Responses
  1. hope you're liking The Handmaid's Tale! I really don't know what to think about the novel being dead if women stopped reading. Luckily I don't think we'll ever have to find out as we aren't going anywhere!! But it is a really sad and perplexing statement.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I keep seeing the Handmaid's Tale everywhere lately...I'm really gonna have to re-read it one of these days!


  3. Alice Says:

    Nice teaser, Melody! I hope to catch The Handmaid's Tale one day. It's been sitting in my wish list for a while. Book ban... book ban... LOL


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I just finished reading THE HANDMAID'S TALE. I'm anxious to read your thoughts on it.


  5. Ana S. Says:

    I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Handmaid's Tale, Melody! It's one of my favourite reads of the year so far.

    I'm not sure if it's true that women read more than men either. Among the people I know, I think it's more or less even.


  6. Melody Says:

    Trish - I hate to think about the novels being dead too! I hope that won't happen in any time! The thought is too scary for us booklovers, isn't it?!

    Softdrink - It's a frightening read in my opinion, but thought-provoking too!

    Alice - I hope you'd read this book soon! The premise is interesting, although I find it a sad one.

    Lynne - Thanks! I can't wait to read your thoughts too. :)

    Nymeth - It's so different from the other books I read...due to the author's writing style and the premise. All in all, it was a good read.


  7. Laura Says:

    Ooo...I liked the Handmaid's Tale! Did you mean to tie in themes from the book and your Musing Monday's post?? Women and reading...hmmm...


  8. Melody Says:

    Laura - I'm glad you enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale. As for the tie in, it is just a coincidence. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.