Melody
Based on Swedish film Let the Right One in and the novel of the same name by John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let Me In tells a story of a relationship between a 12-year-old boy and a vampire girl set in a New Mexico town during the early 80s. I had no prior knowledge of the story having not read the book first so you can well imagine the anticipation I have had for this film.

The film opens with a police detective questioning a disfigured man in a hospital room in which he is believed to be a suspect of a murder case which took place lately. The story then fast forwarded to two weeks earlier where we see 12-year-old Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) being lonely and unhappy as he is neglected by his divorcing parents. On top of that, he is constantly being bullied in school which added to his misery.

One evening, while sitting alone in the courtyard, he meets a girl called Abby (Chloƫ Moretz). Abby is his new neighbour and despite she had claimed that she and Owen couldn't be friends, their friendship blossoms the more they see each other at night in the courtyard. Aside from that, the story also proceeds to show a various of murder cases first performed by the suspect and later to show Abby kills should we know that she is a vampire (this is not a spoiler). Meanwhile, Owen and Abby got really close and this has set off Owen's emotions especially after knowing that she is a vampire.

I'd say that aside from being a horror story, Let Me In is also a terrific psychological story which is both haunting and touching in ways. The feelings and emotions between Owen and Abby are beautifully captured in the film, and what I think of their relationship is both frightening yet truly genuine at the same time. Although I felt that the entire film doesn't have that kind of eerie feel which many horror films are trying to create, still the setting and the atmosphere and knowing what Abby is capable of doing to anyone are suffice to make your hairs stand. And finally a side note, don't watch this with your younger children due to the bloody and some violent scenes.
10 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I've read the book (loved it) and saw the Swedish movie. I'm hoping to see this one as a comparison. While the plot contains vampires, it really is more about coming of age and boundaries of friendship, so it is good they didn't just try to make it a creepfest.


  2. I haven't heard of the movie or the book--the poster is quite striking, though. Think I'll pass--I don't do horror, scary, or suspense! ;) Glad you liked it, Melody!


  3. Jeane Says:

    I saw the film and thought it quite good- and I usually don't like vampire movies! Been considering reading the book as well.


  4. The Bookworm Says:

    This sounds very good. I find vampire stories hard to resist. That poster is very creepy.
    Great review!


  5. Ceri Says:

    I'm still so unsure about whether I want to see this. I loved the book so much and the Swedish film was just great (though left out a handful of really important things). I just don't know how an American version can work because the setting of the book is *so* Swedish. :P


  6. Darlene Says:

    I've never heard of the book or movie but I love horror of any kind so I'll have to look into this one.


  7. Julia Says:

    Never heard of the movie or the book. But glad to hear that you enjoyed the book :)


  8. joanna Says:

    I didn't know about this version, thanks Melody. I read the book and it was haunting.


  9. Melody Says:

    Hi my dear friends! Sorry for my late reply. As you can tell, I enjoyed watching this movie. Can't wait to read the book!


  10. Alice Says:

    I haven't watched the movie but I loved the book. Hope to watch the Swedish film soon which is in personal movie library.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.