Melody



ISBN-13: 9780446698320
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing, 276pp
Pub. Date: August 2007


I have always enjoyed reading Nicholas Sparks' novels, starting with "The Notebook" and "A Walk to Remember", from then onwards I began to keep a look out for his books. Nicholas Sparks has a great writing style and another thing I like about his books is because they are usually thought-provoking.

This story is about John Tyree, based on a first person POV. John has a troubled teenage life; he lives with his father although both of them seldom talk to each other. So after he has left school, he decided to join the army as he thought this would do them good. But he didn't expect his life changes thereafter...

Just when he thought his life wouldn't get any better, fate allows him to befriend Savannah Lynn Curtis. She is a university student majors in special education; she is also a volunteer at the Habitat for Humanity. They are different as day and night, but yet they couldn't help falling in love with each other. Just when John decided to get settled down with Savannah and she promises to wait for him to finish his duty tour, the 9/11 incident broke them apart.

John feels trapped in a dilemma, but deep in his heart he knew he has to fulfil his duty. Savannah respects his decision. While she waits for him to come home, Tim, her long-time good friend lost his parents in an accident at this time. Savannah helps him in taking care of his autistic younger brother, Alan. Tim has liked Savannah for a long time, so it seems natural that both of them get closer under this circumstances.

When John finally comes home, he is both shocked and heartbroken to learn that Savannah has married to Tim. But he has expected this to come and he wishes her all the best, because he knows very well that Tim loves her too and maybe Savannah will be better off with Tim rather than him. When Savannah asks him to meet Tim one day, he is reluctant but he gave in towards the end. He then finds Tim in a hospital and understands he is diagnosed with melanoma (a kind of skin cancer).

Once again, John finds himself in another dilemma. Should he or shouldn't he let go of his one true love? This is definitely a tough decision; and I applaud Nicholas Sparks for writing such a wonderful love story... the ending definitely gave me teary eyes.
6 Responses
  1. Debi Says:

    Your review left me all teary-eyed here! Can you believe I've never read one of his books? Think I'll be adding this one to wish list though...thanks Melody!


  2. Alice Says:

    I have one of Nicholas Sparks' books in my TBR too. Mine's True Believer.


  3. Kathy Says:

    I loved it, too, Melody! Great review of a great book! Now....if I can just find the time to read his new one The Choice. Sounds like another great story!
    Have a great day!


  4. Lotus Reads Says:

    Hi, Melody!

    I haven't read this one by Nicholas Sparks but I so agree with you when you say that his books are thought-provoking. I also love how he writes about and explores relationships...husband and wives, parents and children, siblings, friends etc. He is an amazing and thoughtful writer, thank you so much for this review!


  5. This books sounds really good, I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book but this sounds a great one to start with- thanks for the review.


  6. Melody Says:

    Hi Debi! I'm hoping you will read this book soon. It's worth it IMO. :)

    Hi Alice! I have that book in my pile too! ;P

    Hey Kathy, thanks! I haven't read The Choice yet, but I will soon. Do let me know what you think after you have read it. ;)

    Hi Lotus! I love Nicholas Sparks' books. I too think he is an amazing and thoughtful writer.

    Hi A.Book.In.The.Life! This book is great! I hope you will pick up this book if you have the chance. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.