Melody



ISBN-13: 9780380810956
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, 56pp
Pub. Date: July 2005
Illustrator: Dave McKean



I picked up this book after reading Coraline, because I enjoyed it so much. Not surprisingly, Neil Gaiman has became one of my favourite authors.

Lucy heard noises, and she was sure that they were the sound of the wolves coming out from the walls. She told her parents and her younger brother about it, but they didn't believe her, claiming that "if the wolves comes out of the wall, then it's all over". They failed to elaborate further, so she didn't ask more.

One night while she was asleep, she heard the noises again and to her horror saw the wolves coming out from the walls. So the whole family escaped their house, which the wolves occupied thereafter. Lucy decided to rescue her pig puppet which she has left behind, and then she had an idea. So the whole family crept back into their house quietly and hide into the walls, waiting for a chance to scare the wolves off.

Once again, I have to marvel at Mr. Gaiman's imaginations for weaving such wonderful stories. The ending caught me off guard (the same applies to Coraline), which I find it a good thing because I love a great surprise. Not forgetting the illustrator, Mr. McKean has captured all the scenes perfectly. I especially love the way how he created all the objects in different dimensions. I will definitely pass on this book to my daughter when she is older, or better still start reading this to her as a bedtime story.

Other Bloggers' reviews:
8 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Great review, Melody! Neil Gaiman is one of my fav authors too. :D


  2. Debi Says:

    I can't believe I've never heard of this one. *shame on me* It sounds delightful! Can't wait to get my hands on it!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hey how come I don't know about this book?!? Will have to add it to my christmas list thanks for the cool review.


  4. Melody Says:

    Thank you, Alice! :) No surprise, because Neil Gaiman is such a wonderful and talented author.

    Hi Debi and Rhinoa! I don't blame you all, because I couldn't find this at the bookstores too. I found this online so I have to order it! Next, I will look for his other title The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish.


  5. Darla Says:

    I read this not too long ago at the behest of my 13-year-old. Neil Gaiman blows me away no matter what he writes. My 22-year-old daughter's a huge fan, too. Even if I didn't love his books so much, I'd still like them because they're something the 3 of us can enjoy together.


  6. Melody Says:

    Hi Darla! It's always the best when everyone in the family enjoy the same book, isn't it? I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving holiday!


  7. Jill Says:

    Hi, Melody - thanks for the link! I enjoyed reading your review, and I linked to it in mine. Thanks for dropping me a line to let me know! Have you seen Mirrormask? If not, you will love it. :-)


  8. Melody Says:

    Hi Darla D, thanks! :)
    No, I haven't seen Mirrormask but I'm looking forward to it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.