Melody
ISBN-13: 9781416932437
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Published: 2007
227 pgs
Private Series #1



Fifteen-year-old Reed Brenna leaves her Pennsylvania home and begins her new school life in the posh Easton Academy where most of the students came from wealthy families. Reed managed to get in due to her soccer and lacrosse skills, her scholarship and then the stellar recommendation from an Easton senior who used to be her brother's ex.

During the first day in school, she met Thomas Pearson, one of the coolest and most popular guy in Easton. Then there are the Billing Girls who seems to have everything in life. They are beautiful, sophisticated, intelligent and it seems most girls in school look up to them. Reed wishes to be one of them, but she was told that not anyone could be a Billings Girl, and that one only gets invited by them to be one of them.

Back in her old school, Reed used to get good grades but things are different in Easton as they have their own standards and rules to adhere. When the Billings Girls started to ask her to run errands for them and breaking up with a guy on of the Billings Girls' behalf, Reed gritted her teeth and did them because she knew she would be invited to be one of them if she did what they told but the tasks got worse and dangerous when she is later asked to steal tests and to spike a teacher's drink. She turned down the last 'errand', for she thinks the request is too much and moreover, she does not believe in doing so anyway.

And then, there is the attraction she has for Thomas but it seems he has his own secrets even though they have became a couple and they felt their situations are very similiar to each other. For Thomas, he does not get along with his parents and as for Reed, her mother has a drinking problem. However, the Billings Girls warned her something about Thomas and suddenly, Reed is torn between them and Thomas. Finally, there is the big question about Thomas' disappearance during the parents' meeting that leaves the readers intrigued besides wondering if Reed could be the next Billings Girl.

When I first started reading Private, I told myself to keep an open mind. After all, there is nothing good about reading how a bunch of over-spoiled girls into bullying a newbie who seems to be entirely out of their league. I was not too pleased with Reed initially after reading the things she had done hoping to be a Billings Girl, but in the end I was glad to learn that she does have guts and a mind of her own overall. She may want to be the next Billings Girl in Easton, but she also has her conscience and that I find is a good message to the young readers. I was also intrigued with the mystery surrounding the Billings Girls and Thomas, and I cannot wait to find out what has led to Thomas' disappearance. I hope I would be able to find these answers in the next instalment Invitation Only, and not to mention to read more about Reed Brennan's life in Easton Academy.

14 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    I'm glad the book worked out for you in the end. Enjoy the next instalment, Melody! :)


  2. Iliana Says:

    Look at you, already one book and review down for the year :)

    This sounds like it'd be a fun read. I'll keep it in mind for when I'm looking for some YA books!


  3. "When I first started reading Private, I told myself to keep an open mind. After all, there is nothing good about reading how a bunch of over-spoiled girls into bullying a newbie who seems to be entirely out of their league" LOL--my thoughts exactly. I saw this series at the store the other day and wondered if my little sister might enjoy?--she's 16.


  4. Ana S. Says:

    lol, I was going to quote the same bit Trish did :P I'm glad you ended up enjoying it!


  5. Debi Says:

    :) We all seem to want to quote the same thing! lol
    I might have to suggest this one to Annie. Thanks, Melody!


  6. I am glad this one turned around for you eventually, Melody. I hope you have a good week.


  7. Anonymous Says:

    This one sounds interesting. Do you know when the next book is coming out?


  8. Melody Says:

    Alice - I was glad to. I've the next book in my pile so I look forward to reading it soon. :)

    Iliana - LOL. I guess I need to get started soon...who knows, I might lost the momentum in the middle of the year?! ;P

    Trish - I think your younger sister will enjoy it. Perhaps you can tell her the gist of the story and see if she's interested...

    Nymeth - Frankly, I wasn't too keen about this book after reading the synopsis but I was glad I did enjoy it in the end. :)

    Debi - That shows great minds think alike! ;P I hope Annie will read this. :)

    Wendy - I hope you've a good week too, Wendy!

    Stephanie - Oh, the next instalment is already out. I think this series has released its 9th book already. The author has another book out titled Privilege which begins another new series.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Perfect timing! I just placed a hold at our library for the next available copy! I sounds like a great start of a series.


  10. Melody Says:

    J. Kaye - That's great! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.


  11. The Bookworm Says:

    This sounds good, it almost reminds me of the show 'Gilmore Girls'.
    great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thanks!


  13. Shonda Says:

    Melody-

    Great review...after reading it, I immediately added it to my TBR list. I mentioned your review on my blog. You can find it here:

    http://memybookandthecouch.blogspot.com/2009/01/friday-finds.html


  14. Melody Says:

    Shon - Thank you! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.