Melody
First and foremost, I apologize for this late post. (Especially to Jennifer: Sorry! My bad!) Anyway, here is the post of our first day of the trip. I hope you enjoy the pictures if not my writing!



When my husband asked me one day if I wanted to go on a trip, I said, "Why not?" Who wouldn't want to go on a trip, right? I love travelling. I love seeing new things and experiencing other cultures. So after calling several travel agents about their packages and making comparisons, we finally decided on Perth, Australia (initially we had thought of going to Pennsylvania or Japan, but that is a long story!) since we heard it is a nice and relaxing place to visit. Moreover, my husband and my eldest daughter have not been to Australia before (I had been to Gold Coast several years back with my mother and my youngest sister).

At first, we had wanted to join a tour package but the travel agent said there wasn't any at that moment due to low demand and that the school holidays were already over. He suggested a two-to-go package, which is actually similiar with a free-and-easy package and to join the local tour when we are there. So we decided on a 5 days 4 nights stay in Perth, with a half-day city tour in Fremantle and a one-night farmstay in Swan Valley. The day arrived on 13 January, and we bade goodbye to the in-laws and our baby (who agreed to take care of her) before we lugged our luggage and began our journey.

Everything seemed to be in a rush after we arrived in Perth International Airport. It was nearing to mid afternoon and there was no time for photo taking as we were arranged to pick up by a coach captain (through a local agent) to fetch us to the hotel. We checked into the hotel ourselves and after dumping our lugguage in our designated room, with a map in hand we are free to explore around. At that time, it was towards five o'clock and most of the shops are about to close so we had a simple dinner (Chicken Kebabs and Fish and Chips) and walk around the area.

Here are a few places we stopped by. We did not explore much since night was falling and it was funny that the weather was getting colder even though it is summer (however, the subsequent nights were extremely warm though).

(In chronological order.
You may wish to click onto the pictures for a larger image.)











I simply like the structures of some of these buildings. I especially like the London Court in Hay Street (Pic 3 - 8); there are a lot of shops there and I am sure anyone who love to shop would be thrilled with this place. As you can see, the shops were already closed by the time we reached there. I whipped out our camera to take a few pictures, enjoying the peace and freedom since there were not many people around. Being a shopaholic, I told my husband that I wanted to come here again. Of course, he had said, it is not like we are following any tour groups.

Yes! That is it. We are in total control of the schedule and time and we could go anywhere we like (given that we are not lost!). Anyway, we decided to call it a day (or night) and walked all the way back to our hotel (it was a distance but we are not complaining). We had to wake up early the next day to join a local tour to visit to more places. With this in mind, we slumbered into dreamland.

[To be continued...]
25 Responses
  1. Shana Says:

    Melody, thanks for sharing. I know it takes time to upload photos and type up descriptions, but it was fun to see and read!

    Shana
    Literarily


  2. Melody Says:

    Shana - I've fun writing this post, and I'm sure I'll be with the rest too! :D


  3. Josette Says:

    Nice pictures! I like the one with the statue guy standing on his hands. Is there a story behind it?


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Perth is so beautiful. It's nice that you had some time for yourselves considering it is so difficult to find time after having children. Lovely pictures. Waiting for the next installation :)


  5. Alice Says:

    Nice pictures, Melody! Can't wait to see the Part 2 and beyond. :D

    Alice is back in KL!


  6. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    What a beautiful place! I love this travelogue...I can't wait to see more. I have to say, it is wonderful and healthy to sometimes go on a mommy/daddy trip. You miss the kids something fierce, but you still quite enjoy yourself!


  7. Beth F Says:

    Love the photos and the travel story. I'm waiting for part 2!


  8. mariel Says:

    Glad you had a good time. I really like Perth, though perhaps too many Brits there! It was definitely a lot more relaxed and peaceful than some of the other aussie cities I have been to.

    Did you got to Rottnest Island? Great pictures! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip!


  9. Darlene Says:

    Oh my, beautiful pictures. I love all those shops with the walkway-it's just gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I have rain and snow right now so it's lovely looking at these.


  10. Ana S. Says:

    wow, Perth is SO pretty! I just love the architecture.


  11. Iliana Says:

    So pretty - I especially liked those of the of Hay street. Can't wait for more of the story!


  12. The Bookworm Says:

    wow melody, thanks for posting your wonderful photos. Beuatiful sights!
    Its great to be in control of your own schedule when vacationing.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  13. Anonymous Says:

    I love the pictures Melody. Thanks for sharing!


  14. Melody Says:

    Josette - Thank you! I've no idea about any story behind the statue, although I'd like to find out about it too. ;)

    Violet - Thanks! Perth is indeed beautiful. I don't mind visiting again, but I'd definitely choose a different season next time (probably winter)! ;)

    Alice - Thank you! Glad to see you're back! :)

    Sandy - Thanks! Yes, it's good to have our own personal time at times.

    Beth - Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

    Mariel - Unfortunately, we didn't get to Rottnest Island. Our schedule is too tight and we haven't done any 'homework' on it! LOL. Maybe next time though! :)

    Dar - Thank you! London Court is a lovely place, isn't it? I hope the weather is getting better!

    Nymeth - Yes! I love the architecture too! Simply awesome!

    Iliana - I wish I'd more time at Hay Street! I only get to stop at a few shops... too little time, haha!

    Naida - It's indeed great to be in control of our own schedule, the only thing is we've to do more 'homework' beforehand if we want to visit to more places, hehe. ;P

    Kristy - Thank you! I've fun doing them. :)


  15. Out of curiosity, why Pennsylvania? Anyway, your pictures are gorgeous--I'm not sure what I expected, but it looks *very* different that I would have imagined!


  16. Melody Says:

    Trish - That's because my best friend is living there! ;)


  17. Julia Says:

    Oh the building and the structures are so beautiful, georgious and bold! I love it! Interesting photos of each building and shop. I wish I can see the shop clearly though -- as am sure I would have love to shop there.

    Great photos, thanks for sharing it with us! I can't wait to see more about your trip in Australia, Perth!


  18. Melody Says:

    Julia - The architecture is gorgeous, isn't it? I wish I've more time to shop, LOL. But you know there's always not enough time, hehe...

    I'm currently drafting Part 2 and I'm hoping I'd post it very soon! ;)


  19. Julia Says:

    It sure is gorgeous! I wish you had time to shop so that we can see what you brought there :)

    Can't wait to see part 2 of your trip travelogues!


  20. Melody Says:

    Julia - Basically, we bought a few souvenirs, some shirts and of course, books for me! :D


  21. Debi Says:

    Oh Melody, I'm so glad you had such a fabulous time! I absolutely love it when you share your travel stories...let's me live a bit vicariously, as we never get to travel much.


  22. Melody Says:

    Debi - Yeah, can you tell I love travelling? LOL. Glad you enjoyed it. :)


  23. Marg Says:

    Melody whenever I go to Perth I always make sure to go to London Court, simply because I remember thinking it was so amazing when I was a really little kid. Thanks for reminding me of those memories!


  24. Melody Says:

    Marg - I'm glad that my post reminded you of the the wonderful memories of your childhood. :) London Court is indeed a lovely place to visit!


  25. Do not let the hero in your soul parish, in lonely frustration, for the life you deserved but never have been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours. Cheap Flights to Perth


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.