Melody
ISBN-13: 9780312594411
Publisher: Square Fish
Published: August 2009
265 pgs
Source: Personal Library





Have you ever thought of these questions: What would you do to save your child? To what extent and at what price? Those are what I had thought (and asked myself) while reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox.

Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox woke up from a coma after an accident that took place over a year ago. She has no memories of the past, and to seek answers she watches videos of her childhood but those are not enough to rekindle her memory. Whenever she asked her parents about her past, they would either give her vague answers or gently brush them away. Curious and frustrated with all the secrecy, Jenna decides to do a little exploring herself and found out some of the things she does not meant to know.

Filled with suspense and tension, The Adoration of Jenna Fox will hold your attention from the opening line till the end of the book. The story is told from Jenna's perspective, thus what we read or think is being told through her emotions and experience, and I find this pretty effective because I was totally sucked into Jenna's world and I could not help wondering what would Jenna think (or do) should she finds out the truth.

To risk revealing the plot, I shall share with you about my thoughts on Jenna. Right from the beginning, I knew there is something about her that made her stand out from the other characters. Besides being curious and at times stubborn, I liked that she is courageous and not afraid to seek answers despite the change(s) surrounding her.

What I liked about this story is besides the great characterization (of Jenna), it also touches on ethics and humanity and makes you think about the future should what had happened to Jenna would really happen. As much as I enjoyed the story, I have some questions in regard to Jenna's parents towards the end of the book, but then again it is a minor issue in my opinion and I don't think it will affect the overall message of the story.

Note: There are a lot of reviews on this book so do check out those links here (Book Blogs Search Engine) created and maintained by the lovely Fyrefly.
22 Responses
  1. Amy Says:

    I really loved this one. :)


  2. Veens Says:

    Wow, I totally want to know about Jenna and read this one! Sounds like a great read.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    With every glowing review I read I wonder again why I haven't read this one yet!


  4. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    Veens and Stacy - this is a short, compelling read...you must go out and find it! I loved this book too. It was thought-provoking and disturbing, but at the same time very readable. Great review!


  5. Ceri Says:

    Ooh, I do like the sound of this. Am definitely going to pick it up if I come across it. This was a great review, Mel. :D


  6. This sounds intriguing. I'm going to have to look it up !! Thanks for the review !


  7. Great review!

    I've had this one for a while, and I really need to get it read!


  8. This one sounds really good. I'll have to read it. Thanks for the review.


  9. Melody Says:

    Amy - I love this book too! :)

    Veens & Stacy - I echo Sandy. You've to read this book!

    Sandy - I really liked the theme surrounding this story. So powerful and thought-provoking at the same time!

    Ceri - Thanks, Ceri! :) I hope you'll read it soon and I can't wait to hear what you'll think if you get to it.

    Msslaydbug & Sarah - I hope you'll enjoy the book! And thanks so much for visiting! :)

    Alison - Yes, you've to put this book on the top of your TBR pile! ;)


  10. Iliana Says:

    I really want to read this one. It's another that seems to have all glowing reviews. Funny thing is that as much as I've read about it, I'm still not quite sure what the story is about which is perfectly fine. I don't want to be spoiled but how cool is that.


  11. Darlene Says:

    Nice review Melody. I really must read this one of these days.


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - This is one of those books that it's best to read it without knowing anything in the first place! ;)

    Dar - Thanks, Dar! I hope you'll enjoy this book!


  13. Beth F Says:

    I just skipped over most of your review. I've been wanting to read this one like FOREVER!!!


  14. Julia Says:

    Melody - a very interesting review. This made me want to take a peek on the book to figure out what the is about tehehe. I'm glad you enjoy reading :) Great review!


  15. Alice Says:

    I've always wanted to get this book but didn't. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Melody! I hope to get this book one day.


  16. bermudaonion Says:

    Everyone seems to love this book - it's on my wish list.


  17. The Bookworm Says:

    this does sound like a great read, yet another one to add to my tbr :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  18. Melody Says:

    Beth - I hope you'll read it soon!!

    Julia - Julia, I hope you'll read this if you can. It's so good!

    Alice - You've got to add this book onto your wishlist! :D

    Kathy - I'm glad this book is on your wishlist! Hope you'll enjoy the book!

    Naida - Yes, it is, Naida! And Yay about adding this to your TBR! :)


  19. S. Krishna Says:

    Glad you enjoyed this one, I can't wait to read it! And I like the cover of yours SO MUCH BETTER than the cover of mine.


  20. Josette Says:

    I read this in December last year as I won it in a giveaway. :) Yeah, it was an interesting story overall and I felt intrigued with Jenna's family. They seemed so weird and mysterious in the beginning! Especially the grandmother. Oh well, they had a really huge secret, didn't they?


  21. Serena Says:

    this is one of my favorite books and I always recommend it to people who say that YA is fluff


  22. Anna Says:

    I dug out the copy Serena loaned to me after seeing this book pop up on the blogs again recently. I've heard so many good things about it that I can't wait to read it!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.