Melody
ISBN-13: 9781595544711
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Published: January 2010
388 pgs
Source: Phenix & Phenix Literary Publicists





I have heard a lot of raves about Ted Dekker's books, but just have not got around to reading them yet. Thus, when Amy of Phenix & Phenix Literary Publicists offered me the opportunity to review Burn, a collaboration between Ted Dekker and Erin Healy, I jumped at the chance.

Seventeen-year-old Janeal Mikkado often feels trapped in her father's Gypsy culture, and she longs for a different life outside their close-knit Gypsy community. When Salazar Sanso, a powerful druglord, made a deal with her to grant her this wish in exchange that she has to retrieve a vast sum of money tied to her father, Janeal knew she would do it due to a number of reasons.

Unfortunately, the plan did not go on accordingly, and in a fury Sanso burned the Gypsy ground into ashes. During the blaze, Janeal was confronted a difficult situation for she has to decide whether to risk her life to save Katie, or to disappear with the money she had discovered. However, the option she chose at that moment has made an impact of her life thereafter, and she is led to believe that all are perished in that fire. After that horrible incident, she recreated her life and took on a new identity, until the past began to haunt her once again as she learnt that her boyfriend, Robert and Katie had survived from the fire.

Shocked and not ready to face them yet, she engaged a journalist to do a story on Katie as she thinks this would be the best way for her to get information of Katie. But that is not all, she has always been jealous of Katie for having Robert's attention from the beginning, and now that Robert knew Katie is alive, Janeal could not help but feel threatened by Katie. This time around, there is no escape from the ordeal as once again she has to make a decision whether or not to travel the way towards destruction or towards redemption.

There are books that are both plot driven and characterisation driven, and I have to say Burn falls under that category. I liked how the story is revolved around Janeal and her decision making, and why they are crucial to the story as after all, Burn is labelled as a Christian thriller though you would not find any preaching but allegory, which I think will appeal to non-Christian readers as well.

As much as I enjoyed reading Burn, I have to admit I was stumped over Janeal's identity at some point where I could not decide if Katie is really dead and that Janeal takes over her role as a redemption, or is it a plot to show the paranormal side of the story. Either of this, I am not telling but let's just say Burn has got me hooked and this is the book which has introduced me to Ted Dekker's and Erin Healy's works and I am glad to say I will definitely look forward to their books in the near future.
10 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    This book sounds like a real page-turner! I've only read one Dekker book, and found it to be a little predictable and disappointing. Perhaps I need to give him another chance!


  2. Amy Says:

    I enjoy Ted Dekker's books and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I look forward to doing so!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Dekker is on my list of authors I really want to try. Every time I read a review he moves up on the list a bit more. Glad you liked this one so much.


  4. Violet Says:

    I have been wanting to read Ted Dekker's books for some time too. Glad you liked this one.


  5. Andreea Says:

    Sounds good. Great review Melody!


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    I like Ted Dekker also. Great review! This one does sound good. I like that its not preachy.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  7. Melody Says:

    Hello, everyone! Thank you for your comments! I hope you'll read this book if you've got the chance because it is really a page-turner! :)


  8. Veens Says:

    Oh yes, u r right, I read a lot of good reviews of this one around! Gad you liked it!
    I have put this in my wishlist!!


  9. Alice Says:

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Melody. I've read one of Dekker's books but didn't quite like it. It was OK for me.


  10. Julia Says:

    Hmm this sound like a page turner! Glad you like the book and I hope you the rest of the other books would give you the same feeling :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.