Melody
This is the first time I participated in the Japanese Literature Challenge hosted by Dolce Bellezza and I had so much fun reading the books for this challenge!

Though we are required to read only one Japanese literature, I cannot resist reading another so these are what I read for the challenge:

I enjoyed reading these books and I have to say they have two things in common: (1) they are a collection of short stories, and (2) the writing style is beautiful.

I have to say Asleep is my favourite among the two books. It is a book about three young women who are somehow bewitched into a spiritual sleep. Part sad, and part bittersweet, I was once again mesmerised by Banana Yoshimoto's lyrical prose. The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa is equally good too, in terms of style but I find these collections are darker as compared to Asleep. I have heard good reviews on Ogawa's other work, The Housekeeper and the Professor, so I am adding that book onto my wishlist.

Last but not least, I want to thank Dolce Bellezza for hosting this challenge! I look forward to the next Japanese Literature Challenge coming in July!

8 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Well done on the completion, Melody!


  2. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I read the required one book just in time. Talk about under-achieving on a challenge! This WAS a fun challenge though, I enjoyed reading the reviews! Good job Melody!


  3. Melody Says:

    Alice - Thanks, Alice! I had fun reading for this challenge!

    Sandy - Thanks, Sandy! It's all about fun, and most of all it was great finding out what the other participants are reading.


  4. Julia Says:

    Have fun with the challenge, Melody! And congrat on complete :)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Congrats on finishing the challenge! Since I loved The Housekeeper and the Professor I'll have to check out the short story collection.


  6. Iliana Says:

    Congratulations on finishing your challenge Melody! I remember your review of Banana's book and it's definitely on my list. I think she writes so well I really want to read more by her.


  7. Melody Says:

    Julia - Thanks, Julia! :)

    Stacy - I'll definitely check out The Housekeeper and the Professor since I like the author's writing style.

    Iliana - Yes, Banana's writing is beautiful, isn't it?


  8. Veens Says:

    Melody, i also wanted to read 2 and as a matter of fact I had started one too, but I am still not done with it yet :(

    I have to write my wrap up post!

    Good work on finishing this challenge and also doing better than u hoped for~


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.