Melody
ISBN-13: 9781848775879
Publisher: Templar Publishing
Published: May 2010
Source: Personal Library



I have heard a lot of great things about Shaun Tan's work, but just haven't got around to reading them yet. It was only last week when I was browsing at a bookstore that I stumbled upon this little gem. Without saying, I grabbed a copy off the shelves and I'm happy to say I have now owned one Shaun Tan book (and of course am looking forward for more to come).

Eric is a cute little story about a family hosting a foreign exchange student by the name of - yes, Eric. (Below illustration is how he looked like. Oh don't you find him adorable?)

With black and white illustrations, they capture the essence of Eric's personality and his 'cultures' during his stay with the family. Always curious and keen to learn, Eric slowly adapts to the environment around him.

What I loved most about this book is besides the wonderful illustrations, Shaun Tan has creatively weaved a story based on our everyday lives, through the eyes of little Eric. It also tells a story about the family accepting Eric despite their differences. Eric's stay with the family might seem short, but his experience has allowed me to look at things from a different angle. As for the ending, it brought a smile to my face and touched my heart. How I wish this story would be a little longer!



I feel so loved because I received not one but two awards this week! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

The Versatile Blogger Award comes from Karen at Finding My Muse and though I'm new to Karen's blog, I'm already liking her blog and have added the link onto my Google Reader.

For this award, I must share seven things about myself and then pass it on to 15 blogs I read. I have no problems with coming up with the seven things, but passing it on to 15 blogs is hard because I have so many in mind!

Anyway, here's a list of seven things about me:
  1. I love green tea (genmai tea too). I can have three teabags per day!
  2. My best dish used to be prawns fried with oyster sauce, but since I've became a vegetarian, my best dishes now are soba and yasai tempura (because they are so easy to prepare, haha).
  3. I bought many Sweet Dreams books through eBay last year (young adult romances printed during the 80s) because I just felt nostalgic for those good old days I read them.
  4. I know many of my friends have celebrities as their idols. As for me, it's Lu "Louis" Chen.
  5. The farthest country I've been is New Zealand; that's where I went for my honeymoon.
  6. I'd love to be a librarian, but that's only my wishful thinking!
  7. I love tulips!
18 Responses
  1. What beautiful artwork! The story sounds wonderful too, Melody. :-)

    I would love to visit New Zealand someday. And tulips are so lovely!


  2. Unknown Says:

    congratulations on your award!


  3. Violet Says:

    aww..that is so cute. Great artwork.

    Congrats on your awards. I hated green tea first but now its slowly growing on me :)


  4. Julia Says:

    Eric seem to be a beautiful artwork and story. Glad you enjoy it. Congrats on your award, I already knew a few things about you. Not sure about peeps celebrating their idols, what does that mean?


  5. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Shaun's artwork is gorgeous, isn't it? You bet I'll be checking out the rest of his books! :)

    Ulat Buku - Thank you!

    Violet - I'm glad you're beginning to like drinking green tea now! ;)

    Julia - I meant that most of my friends favour movie or super stars. :)


  6. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    That little guy is adorable! I need to really look into this author. I keep hearing about him, and the illustrations just stop you in your tracks. Congrats on the award - as always you are very deserving!


  7. Jenny Says:

    I tried to read The Arrival in the library yesterday - I figured it would only take a minute because there are no words in it - but Tan's artwork was so rich and detailed, I knew I'd have to check it out to get the full effect. I love his illustrations.


  8. Andreea Says:

    Congrats on your awards.

    I loved your answers. I also liked the sound of 'Eric'.


  9. Ana S. Says:

    Oh, I've read Eric! Tan made it available for free online a while ago, and I didn't actually know it has been published as a book. I agree; it IS a lovely story :)

    And congrats on your awards, Mel!


  10. The Bookworm Says:

    Great review, Eric looks so cute, love the artwork.
    Congrats on the award! I love green tea too :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  11. Ladytink_534 Says:

    It sounds like a cute little story and I love the illustration. I bet New Zealand is gorgeous! I really want to visit Ireland one day.


  12. Melody Says:

    Sandy - Thanks for your kind words, Sandy! I hope you'll read Shaun Tan's books soon! I can't wait to read the rest of his books after having read this!

    Jenny - His illustrations are gorgeous isn't it? I'll buy his books based on that alone!

    Andreea - Thank you! :)

    Ana - I didn't know it was released online earlier, hehe. Anyway, I'm glad to buy this book! It's definitely a keeper! :)

    Naida - Glad most of us shared the same thoughts on Eric. :)

    Jen - Oh NZ is beautiful! I wouldn't mind visiting again! I'd love to visit Ireland too!


  13. Iliana Says:

    Melody you must check out Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan. This story, Eric, is part of it and I loved it too. You are right, the ending was just beautiful.

    Congrats on your award! Now what is genmai tea? Is it also green tea? I am slowly learning to like green tea but I have to have it with another flavor in it. If it's just plain green tea I don't like it much.


  14. valentina Says:

    Eric looks adorable! I want!


  15. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I sure will! I've heard a lot of great things about that book!

    Genmai tea is green tea with brown rice. It also comes in teabag form so I hope you'll try it. I just love the taste and the aroma!!

    Valentina - I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!


  16. Iliana Says:

    Ah, thanks for explaining Genmai tea. Next time I go to one of the markets that has more "world" foods I will look for that. I do like trying new tastes so I'm definitely curious :)


  17. Aarti Says:

    This is one Tan book I've never heard of! I recently enjoyed his The Arrival, which also deals with cultural learning and adjustment. I like the way he explores that theme.


  18. Alice Says:

    I like the sound of ERIC! Congratulations on your award, Melody! Like you, tulips are my favorite flowers too. Peonies come in close second.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.