Melody
ISBN-13: 9780802798220
Publisher: Walker & Company
Published: December 2008
368 pgs
Source: Personal Library





I think Perfect Chemistry is one of the best YA romance I read this year, besides Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols that is. But then again, these books are not all about romance but also about the difficulties and some issues teenagers faced today.

Told in alternating narratives - Brittany Ellis and Alex Fuentes, Perfect Chemistry tells a story of the differences between our two protagonists and how they overcome their difficulties and find love in the end.

When Brittany and Alex first met, they were assigned as lab partners in their Chemistry class. Brittany is beautiful and popular in school, while Alex is viewed as an outcast since he is known to be a gang member of the Latino Blood. It is obvious that they do not belong in each other's world, but their Chemistry teacher refused to budge on Brittany's request to change partners so they are stuck with each other.

Truth be told, Brittany and Alex aren't like what others think they are. Brittany might give people the impression she is living a happy and perfect life, but actually no one knew she is unhappy with her parents and that she loves her sister dearly despite she has severe cerebral palsy and she is always taking some time to keep her company and so forth. Alex, on the other hand, is not as bad as what he has portrayed to the outside world. Deep in his heart, he wishes to go to college and lead a decent life. The reason he is a Latino Blood member is to keep his family safe and that it would exempt his two younger brothers from joining the gang.

The story took a turn when Brittany and Alex start to look at each other differently the more they know each other as the days went by, but that was before Alex took a bet with his friends that he could have Brittany in a matter of time. Meanwhile, Brittany has fell in love with Alex and decided to ditch her glitzy life and be with him, after all she knew she isn't perfect, and her relationship with her boyfriend has began to fall apart. Alex has wanted to leave the gang all the while, but something kept him from doing so and this is where the intensity and the complexity of the plot set in as readers read about the struggle between Brittany and Alex, and the consequences thereafter.

What can I say? I enjoyed this book immensely! What I loved about this story is it shows two people of different status and race falling in love, and most of all they are not afraid to make changes and be real not only to others but to themselves as well. I liked the alternating narrative as it allows the readers to view from their standpoint; I also liked the way they used two types of fonts at the opening of each chapter as a representation of them. Because this story covers issues like drugs, sex and some gang activities, it is not recommended for younger readers.

Finally, I was thrilled that I managed to borrow Rules of Attraction (which I'm currently reading) that features Alex's younger brother, Carlos. Like Alex, he is another interesting character and I cannot wait to see what is in store for him.

(Click here for other bookbloggers' reviews.)

7 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    WOW sound like PERFECT CHEMISTRY is must read! I will have to see if I can find a copy and read it. Great review!


  2. Melody Says:

    Julia - Yes, it's a must read IMO! I hope you'll read it soon!


  3. Ana S. Says:

    You sold me with your very first sentence, Melody!


  4. The Bookworm Says:

    Great review Melody, I have heard good things about this one.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  5. Iliana Says:

    I was hoping you'd review this one after I read your teaser on it. Sounds like a good YA story. I haven't seen this one around but I'll keep my eye out for it!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I thought this book was nice but forgettable :)

    I just don't seem to remember anything much about the book. Glad you liked it though.


  7. Melody Says:

    Ana, Naida, Iliana & Violet - Thanks, ladies! I really enjoyed reading this! It's no surprise that Simone Elkeles is one of my favourite authors now! :D


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.