Melody
ISBN-13: 9780451231444
Publisher: Penguin Group
Published: November 2010
464 pgs
Source: Publicist



After having read a few Karen White books, I have to confess that I have fallen in love with her writing style and how her stories always seem to warm and touches my heart. Needless to say, when the publicist contacted me and asked if I would like to review Karen White's Falling Home, I didn't even have to think about it.

As the title indicated, Falling Home is a coming home story. However, there are more to it than about just having the protagonist coming home; it is also a story about forgiveness and acceptance, and of finding oneself along the journey.

Cassie Madison often thinks of herself as a city girl despite that she was born and raised in Walton, Georgia until an incident had deeply humiliated her and she had vowed never to return. That humiliation was seeing the guy she liked had chosen to marry her younger sister, Harriet. Cassie left for New York and began her life thereafter. For a while she feels happy since she has a great career in advertising and a fiancé whom she thinks she loves until she received a telephone call from her estranged sister one day, informing her that their father is dying and they want her to come home.

Cassie does not want to admit this to anyone, but deep in her heart she is afraid of seeing Harriet and Joe again. Despite this, she knew she has to return to Walton anyhow. As much as she tries to forget her unhappy past, what she didn't expect is she has grown to love her nephews and nieces the more she stays in Walton, and how much the place still means to her after all these years. During the stay, Cassie will also find out the secret which Cassie's father had kept and how it will mean to her after discovering the truth eventually.

Falling Home is one of Karen White's older releases and I was so glad that her publisher decided to reissue the book after seeing that many readers had asked about it (I definitely hope that they will print her other older releases as well). While nothing much has changed to the story, Karen did a little revamp and added two new points of view (Harriet and her daughter, Maddie) instead of Cassie's. Reading about their perspectives has made me understand more about their emotions and their stand and I felt these have further enriched the story in my opinion. Although the story might not be new, what I really enjoyed reading this book is the characterisations and finding out how much Cassie has grown and a changed person after all the experiences she has been through. Speaking of characterisations, Karen has done a great job in portraying the feelings and emotions from the three point of views but I felt there also should be more emphasis from Joe's view. Karen must have her reason for keeping Joe in the background and though I totally respect her choice, but being a reader I would like to know more about his thoughts and how he felt about everything.

Nevertheless, Falling Home is an engaging read and one that made me think of the fact that no place is anywhere like home.

(Many thanks to Joy Strazza for sending this book to me for review.)
10 Responses
  1. This sounds like a wonderful book, Melody. I really like Karen White's writing too and hope to one day read one of her novels outside of the Tradd Street series. Thanks for your great review!


  2. Veens Says:

    I have read wonderful reviews of White's books and have always wanted to read them. It is so good that they are reissued.
    This book sounds right up my alley, I am sure I will look for this one here.


  3. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I enjoyed On Folly Beach, and my mom has read just about everything by Karen White. She definitely has a fan club. Plus she is just such a nice person. I'm glad to hear that this one passed the test! I have it on my shelves, and hope to get to it soon!


  4. The Bookworm Says:

    Great review Melody. Its always wonderful finding an author whose stories are a must read.
    This one sounds really good.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  5. Iliana Says:

    Sounds wonderful, Melody! Thank you so much for the giveaway. I'm so excited to finally read one of her books. I promise to keep you posted even if it takes me a while to get to the book :)


  6. This sounds like such a great read. On my wishlist it goes:)


  7. Alice Says:

    I hope to one day read Karen White's books. This one is definitely one of them. :)


  8. Julia Says:

    This book sound like it going to be an enjoyable, straight to the heart story. I'm really interest to find out what happen when she came home. Was it uncomfortable for Joe to see Cassie again? How did he reacted seeing her and such. Like you, I would have wanted to get into Joe's POV too :)

    I am plannnig to read Karen White books soon. I just have to figure out which books to start first LOL! ;) Great review, Melody -- as always :)


  9. Anna Says:

    I'll be reviewing this one soon. I really enjoyed it, it's such a charming book. Glad to see you liked it, too.


  10. Anonymous Says:

    I've only read the 2 Tradd Street books. I really need to read her stand alones since everyone raves about them.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.