Melody

Teaser Tuesdays

TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

Where shall I begin? There are simply too many thought-provoking issues in Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (the same author who wrote Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) that I wished I could share them all with you here. Anyway I chose the following extracts which I feel we should be well aware of, especially the first extract.


A University of Chicago study recently found that our food choices contribute at least as much as our transportation choices to global warming. More recent and authoritative studies by the United Nations and the Pew Commission show conclusively that globally, farmed animals contribute more to climate change than transport.
(Pg 58)

What does organic signify? Not nothing, but a whole lot less than we give it credit for. For meat, milk, and eggs labeled organic, the USDA requires that animals must: (1) be raised on organic feed (that is, crops raised without most synthetic pesticides and fertilizers); (2) be traced through their life cycle (that is, leave a paper trail); (3) not be fed antibiotics or growth hormones; and (4) have "access to the outdoors." The last criterion, sadly, has been rendered almost meaningless - in some cases "access to the outdoors" can mean nothing more than having the opportunity to look outside through a screened window.
(Pg 70)

8 Responses
  1. The Bookworm Says:

    this sounds like an interesting book mel!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  2. Veens Says:

    I did not organic means so many things.
    Great extracts, thank you for sharing this.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I loved loved loved this book. I hope you are enjoying it as well. Okay, maybe love is weird to say about a non-fiction book that makes you feel disgusted about the way we treat our "food" so often?



  4. Ana S. Says:

    I need to read this book. I think it will change my life for the better.


  5. Melody Says:

    Thanks everyone for your comments! I've been bad at replying to comments lately, my apologies!

    As for this book, it continues to astound me the more I read it. It's really an 'eye-opener' to me!


  6. Iliana Says:

    I had borrowed this from the library and had to return it unread... I only got through about 20 or so pages but I could already tell I was going to be blown away. I need to get it. I am a bit scared though because I know it's going to make me evaluate some of my choices - which is a good thing but it's hard :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I remember you reading about this book some time ago. I didn't know you had it returned to the library unread.

    I've to confess this book isn't an easy read, but after reading about the facts about factory farming and all I'm glad that I'm a vegetarian. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.