Melody




ISBN-13: 9780307388995
Publisher: Vintage Books
Published: 2006
441pp


First sentence: There were times when she wished he were dead.



Ridley Jones' life supposed to be simple and peaceful, but after an attempt of saving a toddler from being hit by a vehicle on a busy street in New York, she is caught in an unwanted attention when her heroic acts made it on the news. From then onwards, her life is never the same anymore.

First, she receives an envelope in the mail with no return address which contains some old photographs of a man, a woman and a little girl. Accompanied these photos is a note that asks this question: 'Are you my daughter?' When she confronted her parents, they assured her they are her parents although she got a feeling they have something to hide from her.

Things get more complicated when at this time, she is also attracted and intrigued by her new neighbour, Jake, who seems to have a few secrets of his own. Jake seems both eager and interested in helping her to solve her past, but Ridley has her own doubts. On top of this drama, she also has problems with a drug addicted brother, Ace, who is estranged from the family and her overly protective ex-boyfriend, Zachary.

Through her persistent digging and with the assistance from Jake, who turns out to be a PI with an agenda, they unveil a case of the disappearance of a girl, Jessie Stone back in the seventies after the murder of her mother. It also leads her to get to know more of her beloved late Uncle Max, whom she later learns he had set up a Project Rescue for bringing up the abandoned children, and that her father used to be the pediatrician to Jessie as well as to other abandoned children.

Lisa Unger has weaved a taut and intriguing suspense in Beautiful Lies told from the protagonist, Ridley Jones' perspective as the readers follow her twisting journey in finding her secret past and her true identity. The author has also successfully built up the climax by building the suspense of the people surrounding Ridley. I liked the ending; it has led me to think about the choices sometimes we have to make in life.

10 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    This one sounds great, Melody.

    Pop it goes into my wish list. It's growing but I'm not complaining... ;P


  2. Ana S. Says:

    Another one that sounds interesting even though it's very different from my usual reading material. I like what you said about the ending.


  3. I really enjoyed your review. This is the only book I've read by Lisa Unger, but I'm on the library waitlist for Sliver Of Truth (which I believe is another story featuring Ridley Jones).


  4. Ladytink_534 Says:

    You have most certainly caught my attention. This sounds like something I would really enjoy!!!


  5. Melody Says:

    Alice - I'm glad you're adding it to your wishlist. I can't wait to hear what you think of this book.

    Nymeth - I really enjoyed the message of the ending; it's so meaningful!

    Joanne - Thank you! This is the only book I read by Lisa Unger too. I'll be checking out her other books too.

    Jen - I'm hoping you'll read this book soon.


  6. Debi Says:

    Oh Melody, Melody, Melody...you're just murder on my wish list! This one sounds really good, and you definitely left me quite intrigued with that last sentence of your review!


  7. Iliana Says:

    Great review Melody. I've not tried any of her books but you've got me intrigued. I'll keep this one in mind for when I go to the library tomorrow. I'm kind of in the mood for a thriller and this sounds like it'd be fun.


  8. Melody Says:

    Debi - LOL! I'm happy to note that some of the books I read are on your wishlist! I'm hoping you'll get hold of this copy soon so that I can hear your thoughts. :)

    Iliana - Thank you. :) This is the first book I read by Lisa Unger, and definitely not my last. Do let me know once you've got the book.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    You have got to read the next book, A SLIVER OF TRUTH. It will blow your mind and it's better than this one.


  10. Melody Says:

    J Kaye - Thanks for your recommendation! I'll have to check out that book.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.