Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about your to be read list…

As a follow up to last week's question, Joseph asked how you keep track of your TBR list. Do you have a paper list or on your computer? Do you take it with you when you go shopping? How do you decide what gets added to it?


As far as TBR list goes, I will take note of the books I want to buy (as well as recommendations from fellow bookbloggers) on a paper list. Though this comes in useful as I can always bring it with me for my book shopping, the only thing is I do not keep track of the books I bought so sometimes I ended up with duplicate copies.

As for deciding which books to be added onto my list, I guess a lot have to depend on the story premise and how my bookbloggers friends feel after reading them. However, there are also times that I will give a book a try even though if it did not receive positive reviews because I am intrigued with the premise and want to read it anyway. Who knows I may end up liking it, right? After all, reading is such a subjective matter.

So do you keep a list? How do you decide what books to add onto your list?

Onto another issue, I sorted and weeded my TBR pile with mixed feelings yesterday. Why the mixed feelings? You may ask. Well, I have not been clearing my pile for some time, so when my husband suggested he would clear some space for my books in our storeroom, I was both so glad and thankful (before that they are stacked into three 'towers'; now one of them are sorted and arranged onto a shelf he had cleared, thank goodness). And the sad thing is, I found out that I had lost interest in some of the books I had acquired over the years (er, no thanks to my current reading mood). So in the upcoming weeks, I will be holding several giveaways of these books so do keep a lookout on them!



I want to thank Dot from Scribbles for presenting me the Premio Dardos Award. (Thank you, Dot!) I feel so honoured! I discovered Dot's blog lately and have been following her blog since then. If you have not visited her blog, please do so and don't forget to say hello! :-)


"This award is for bloggers who distinguish themselves for showing cultural values, ethics, great and fun writing skills, as well individual values, through their creative writing..."

The rules of the award are as follows:

1. To accept and show the distinct image.
2. Show the link to the blog from which you were given the award.
3. Pass the award on to any blogs you believe should be recognised.


I want to pass this award to the following friends in addition to the same I received from Beth and Matt a while back:

Beth from Beth Fish Reads (back to you, my friend!)
Matt from A Guy's Moleskine Notebook (back to you, my friend!)
Sandy from You've Gotta Read This
Violet from Violet Crush
Jessica from Paperback Passion
Kristy from Just Another Blogger
S. Krishna from S. Krishna's Books
Rhinoa from Rhinoa's Ramblings
Mariel from Where Troubles Melt Like Lemon Drops
Valentina from Valentina's Room
Natasha from Maw Books Blog
Amy from My Friend Amy
Jill from Fizzy Thoughts

23 Responses
  1. Amy Says:

    Thank you Melody!

    I also find that I lose interest in books after awhile. But I have so many that I never look at them!


  2. Matt Says:

    Yes, I have to sort out my TBR list from time to time, making appropriate and necessary modification. I tend to be more careful buying than adding books to the list.


  3. Nise' Says:

    One of the reasons why I quit buying so many books was 'cause I would lose interest.


  4. Beth F Says:

    Yep, I have the same problem. Sometimes I have no clue why I bought or requested a book. Tastes change and new titles catch my eye. I guess I'm fickle!

    And woo hoo!! Thanks for the award. I truly appreciate it.


  5. I go through my TBR books sometimes too and find that I no longer have an interest in reading them. I hate to say goodbye. I sometimes worry that I may redevelop an interest in them as soon as they are gone. That's happened before. Most of the time though, I find I am relieved at my decision.

    My TBR list is made up of books I actually own. I don't usually take it with me because, printed out, it is a mini novel all by itself. I do sometimes take a wish list with me though, but not always.


  6. Julia Says:

    I don't keep track of books I brought either...atleast not on papers. But sometime I tend to *know* which books I have and which one I don't. I don't think I ever end up with duplicate copies, unless authors had their book covers changed (re to reissues/reprint).

    Ohhh, can't wait for the give away contest! I would be there!

    Congrats to everyone who received an awards!


  7. Melody Says:

    Amy - You're welcome. :)

    Most of the times my reading and the choice of books I buy/read depend on my mood at that time and as funny as it may sound, I find it so hard to control it. LOL.

    Matt - I've this habit of not walking out of the bookstore empty-handed so I guess I need to work onto this too, hehe.

    Nise' - I guess I've to stop buying books on impulse, LOL.

    Beth - Count me fickle too, hehe. I hope I won't change my mind after giving away my books, haha! :P

    Wendy - I hate to say goodbye to my books too, especially if they're not read before! I don't take my list with me either, only books I want to buy. :)

    Julia - I don't keep any records except adding books on my wishlist, haha. Sometimes, I rely on my memory too but as you know, I also tend to be forgetful. ;)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    I used to take a list to the bookstore, but when I realized most of the books are not available here, I just get disheartened. So I just go to the bookstore and browse. If I find a book that I have seen positive reviews about or if it strikes my fancy, I buy it.


  9. Anonymous Says:

    And yes, thanks so much for the award, I am so honoured :)


  10. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    Thank you so much! I haven't received this one yet (I've been coveting it!). I will get it posted sometime this week!


  11. Ana S. Says:

    I'm the same. Sometimes I forget why I ever added a book to the pile in the first place, and can't seem to understand why I ever wanted to read it :P

    Congratulations on your award, Melody!


  12. valentina Says:

    Awww thank you Melody! You're awesome!

    My tbr pile scares me:P
    Blogging and working in a bookshop are the main causes for this. Also bookmooch and the library are a factor. But I carefully keep track of it on my librarything, they are all under the "tbr" tag. As of today, they are 133. Plus the 50+ back at home in Italy lol!


  13. Cmate Says:

    I'm loving this blogskin of yours? Own design? Can I have one too? LOL! Can't stop staring at it...


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Thanks for the award Melody!


  15. Yvonne Says:

    I take a little notebook with me when I go bookshopping.


  16. Jeane Says:

    My TBR used to just be on paper- but it grew unmanageable. I have it as a sorted page on my blog, now (w/useful links to the blog where I first read about the book- my usual method of finding new books now). I haven't weeded my TBR piles in the bedroom yet, but I do find that often when I pick up a book that's been sitting there for months on end (or over a year, even!) I find it totally uninteresting, and wonder why I wanted to read it in the first place. They end up as giveaways, too. Can't wait to see what rejects you post for one of us to treasure!


  17. JessicaLeigh Says:

    You've just reminded me that I need to weed out my TBR pile as well. I get a little carried away, and I pay for it! :)

    Congratulations on the award! You definitely deserve it! And thank you, as well. :) That means a lot!


  18. Debi Says:

    Congrats on your much deserved award, Melody!

    I keep wish lists everywhere! I have these little notebooks that I keep running lists in, but if one isn't around I'll write the book's name down on any scrap of paper available. Sometimes I go and add a book directly to my Amazon wish list. The problem with have these wish lists all over the place is that I'll end up writing down the same book more than once without even realizing...and then buying it more than once. So, at least you're not alone on that score! :)


  19. Jenny Girl Says:

    You are pretty organized chica!

    I really should clean out my lists and files, especially the TBR. I've recently sorted through my books, so that part is done.


  20. The Bookworm Says:

    congrats on the award, it is well deserved :O)

    I try to keep a paper list too, but I always lose it..lol. So I started to keep track of my TBR books on goodreads.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  21. Congrats on the award, Melody! I've been trying to clear my shelves lately of books that I'm no longer interested in. I've also been trying to only buy books that I'm really really interested in (although I know taste changes).

    Have a great week!!


  22. Melody Says:

    Violet - I don't always go to the bookstore with a list. And I love the feeling of buying books on impulse. ;)

    Sandy - I feel you well-deserve this award, Sandy!

    Nymeth - Ah, our moods play a big part in our reading, isn't it? ;)

    Valentina - As to-date, I don't know how many TBR books I have in there... I'm too scared to count! LOL.

    Cmate - I got it from Blogger Templates, they've a wide range of designs there! I'm glad you like my layout. :)

    Kristy - You're most welcome! :)

    Yvonne - One of these days, I'll have to buy a little notebook just for this purpose. :)

    Jeane - I don't keep track of my books on the computer (be it my TBR or wishlist), well except my reviews on my blog. As for book buying, I'm trying to control the urge of buying them on impulse... but it's so hard! LOL.

    Jessica - I've those TBR pile sitting in the store room for ages! I'm just glad I had cleared one stack of it, hopefully I won't stack another pile, haha.

    Debi - Thanks! I don't keep a notebook so that explains why I sometimes end up with duplicate copies! I should be more organized, haha.

    Jenny - I wish I'm more organized! At least when it comes to keeping tracks of the books I read or buy. ;)

    Naida - Thanks! I haven't thought of GoodReads... but I do have an account with Shelfari though, still I haven't been making good use of it.

    Trish - Thank you! It's hard to control our reading mood and preferences, isn't it?


  23. Melody Says:

    Krishna - You're welcome! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.