Melody
ISBN-13: 9780316014564
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Published: January 2009
224 pgs



Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick have one thing in common: they are both social outcasts. This drawn them together and they became the best of friends. Just when Jennifer thinks she could seek solace in Cameron whenever she has problems, her world seems to come to a halt when Cameron disappeared and she was told he was dead.

Few years later, Jennifer is a senior in high school but with a new identity. She is no longer the chubby, insecure Jennifer but a popular and confident Jenna Vaughn. No one else knew about her unhappy past; it is like she is completely a new person. She is very happy with her life now; her mother remarried and she has a wonderful and understanding stepfather. She has friends and a good-looking boyfriend. Life seems wonderful and promising ahead until one day, Cameron walks back into her life again.

Without saying, Jennifer is stunned. And this leads her to memories of the old days and an event that had claimed to alter their life. Then again, there is another question she has asked herself is, should she embrace her life being Jenna, or should she return to her old self as Jennifer?

As I read further, I realize there is so much more about this story. Issues like abusive treatment, insecurity, friendship, love, and not to mention about finding oneself along the path of growing-up. The characters are well-developed, and there are so much reality in this story. I liked the way how this story explores about finding one's identity, through Jennifer's transformation to Jenna and towards the end how Jenna thought about everything and wonder if she could be Jennifer again.

As for the abusive treatment, there is not much mention of how Cameron is being treated but you would be able to feel how it affected Cameron and Jennifer through their minds and emotions. And I liked how this is portrayed without exposing too much of the ugly facts to the readers, considering this is a YA fiction.

Due to all these circumstances, there is always a connection between Cameron and Jennifer. They share a lot of similarities, though Jennifer appears to be the more fortunate one. Their relationship may seem pure but oh so true. The love they have for each other may seem unclear, but it is there growing silently in their hearts.

Sweethearts is a bittersweet story of friendship and how certain people come into your life and leave a mark. It is a wonderful story that tugs at my heartstrings and leave me something to ponder about.

One of my favourite quotes:

"... I’m talking about the ones who, for whatever reason, are as much a part of you as your own soul. Their place in your heart is tender; a bruise of longing, a pulse of unfinished business. My mom was right about that. Just hearing their names pushes and pulls at you in a hundred ways, and when you try to define those hundred ways, describe them even to yourself, words are useless. If you had a lifetime to talk, there would still be things left unsaid."


Other reviews:
Becky’s Book Reviews
Em’s Bookshelf
It’s All About Books
Jenny’s Books
Mari Reads
Maw Books
Presenting Lenore
Superfast Reader
The Well-Read Child
Things Mean A Lot
Words by Annie
Worducopia
YAnnabe
(Let me know if I have missed yours.)

27 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    This books sounds wonderful Melody. I love the story. Thanks for the review.


  2. Julia Says:

    This really sound good, Melody. I love a story about a couple becoming friend first and than lover later. That the kind of story that usually grab my attention.

    And from what you said from the reviews, it sound like it going to be a deep emotions with character in depth. I like that in book too.

    This sound like it'll be the kind of book I would read. I'm going to get a copy of this one! :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Violet - I really enjoyed this book. I'm going to look out for more Sara Zarr's books! ;)

    Julia - The story is both so thought provoking and moving! Even after I've finished the book, the story still lingers in my mind. I hope you'll enjoy it if you get to it! :)


  4. Julia Says:

    I love story that still lingers in my mind...more the reason why I love Suzanne Brockmann books so much. And Nora Roberts LOL

    Glad you like it, and if I get it I will let you know :)


  5. Melody Says:

    Julia - Yes, I do know how much you adore Suzanne Brockmann's and Nora Roberts' books! :)


  6. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    A very intriguing sounding book Melody! Like a coming of age book, with a mystery, and life lessons included. (The cover made me hungry!)


  7. Beth F Says:

    Sounds like a complex book (in a good way) with a bit of mystery. I'll have to keep it in mind. Thanks.


  8. Darlene Says:

    Wonderful review Melody. I have seen a few reviews of this book and it does sound really good. That's a great quote you chose.


  9. Kailana Says:

    I have this book on hold at the library. Just waiting for it to come in!


  10. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I just may have to read this after all. Sounds complex but also like it has a good ending. Wonder about the abuse though? And what happened to Cameron that made Jennifer/ Jenna think he was dead? Yeah, I have a feeling I'll end up picking this one up to find out!


  11. Kim L Says:

    I've had this one on my list for a while. Thanks for the great review!


  12. Alice Says:

    This is definitely something that I would read. Thanks for the great review, Melody! I'm putting this into my (ever growing) wishlist.


  13. Melissa O. Says:

    I have a little something for you on my blog. You can pick it up here.


  14. Unknown Says:

    Hi Melody. Not sure if you've received this award yet but I have an award for you here:
    http://ulatbukuinthecity.blogspot.com/2009/04/more-blogging-awards-yayyyy.html


  15. Debi Says:

    Wonderful review, Melody! I may just have to read this one day. Annie really loves Sara Zarr...suppose I ought to check her out, huh?


  16. Anonymous Says:

    I need to try more YA lit. I'm glad you like it. Sounds like a good one.


  17. Iliana Says:

    Great review, Melody! I love the sound of this book. And, I'm adding to my ever expanding list!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!


  18. The Bookworm Says:

    this sounds like a great book melody, great review!
    I like that quote.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  19. Ana S. Says:

    Excellent review, Melody! I love what you said about the abuse Cameron suffered and the impact it had on his life and the lives of those he cared about. This little book packs a lot, doesn't it? I'm so glad you enjoyed it too.


  20. Melody Says:

    Sandy - Yes! Like I said, there're so much things more in this book. The cover is definitely making me hungry... my lunch hour is about an hour away!

    Beth - I liked the complexity in this book. I hope you'll enjoy it if you get to it.

    Dar - I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Sara Zarr's books in the near future!

    Kailana - That's great! I hope you'll read this book soon!

    Jen - You know I won't reveal much about the story! You'll have to read it yourself to know, hehe.

    Kim - I'm glad you've this book on your list!

    Alice - Yay! Another book onto your wishlist, hehe.

    Melissa - Thank you so much! :)

    Ulat Buku - Thank you so much! :)

    Debi - Now you'd read Annie's and my reviews, so what're you waiting for? ;P You bet I'm going to look out Sara Zarr's books from now on!

    Kristy - I notice I've been reading lots of YA books nowadays and I love it! ;)

    Iliana - I'm so glad you're adding this book to your wishlist!

    Naida - I really enjoyed reading it!

    Nymeth - Thanks! I really cared about Cameron and Jennifer while reading this book! There're so much emotions packed in this little gem. I'm glad you recommended this book! :)


  21. Cmate Says:

    I think I will like this book. GOtta write it down so I can buy the next time round... thanks for the review!


  22. S. Krishna Says:

    Wow, great review. I am adding this one to my TBR list!


  23. It does sound like there is a lot to this book. Thanks for the great review, Melody.


  24. Anonymous Says:

    If I saw this in a book shop I would never be tempted to pick it up and even read the premise, but yours is the second review that I have read of it and it really does sound like something I would enjoy.


  25. Melody Says:

    Cmate - I'm glad you're adding this book to your wishlist!

    Swapna - Thanks! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

    Wendy - I really enjoyed reading this book. I'm going to look out for more Sara Zarr's books! ;)

    Rhinoa - I wouldn't have pick up this book if I've not read Nymeth's review first. And I'm glad to see that other bloggers think the same about this book too!


  26. Kelly Says:

    I just finished this one and I totally agree! It makes me want to read Zarr's other book, and she has her 3rd coming out this October, I think. Have you read Story of a Girl?


  27. Melody Says:

    Kelly - I haven't read Story of a Girl but I've that book in my pile! I'll definitely keep a look out for her third book! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.