Melody

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a random book.

Go to your bookshelf and pick a random book. No cheating now, just reach out and pick one. Now tell us about it – where did you get it? Why? Was it a gift? Does it hold any special memories? Did someone recommend it to you? etc.

I wish I am at home after reading today's Musing Mondays question; I know I would love the fun of picking a book randomly among my pile but alas, I am in the office while typing this but since I do keep a few unread books in my drawer (so I don't have to worry should I finish a book during my lunch break), I figure this would be fun too (just that the fun is not as much as you would expect from choosing from a huge pile). Nevertheless, I picked The Virago Book of Ghost Stories edited by Richard Dalby where this collection features stories by A. S. Byatt, Angela Carter, Charlotte Brontë, Antonia Fraser, Penelope Lively, Ruth Rendell and Edith Wharton (just to name a few).

I have to admit I have yet to read anything by those authors but I have heard enough raves about A.S. Byatt and Charlotte Brontë, and plus the fact that I love reading ghost stories so I bought the book.

And guess what? Eva read and reviewed this a few months back and I know I will be in for a treat after reading her wonderful review.



Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia from The Printed Page where readers are to share the books that came into their house last week.

These are the books I bought from The Book Depository:

1) The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (I enjoyed reading The Woman in Black so I look forward to reading another ghost story by Susan Hill)

2) White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi (I knew I have to get this book after reading Eva's lovely review)

3) Flyaway by Lucy Christopher (I loved Stolen so much that I want to read all the upcoming books by this author)

What books came into your house last week?

13 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody! This is a fun one for this week. I like the look of Flyaway for your Mailbox Monday. :D


  2. Iliana Says:

    Oh Melody, you are in for a treat with Ruth Rendell. I've read several of her books and have really enjoyed them. She does suspense so well.

    The Virago book is one I have on my radar. Enjoy your new books!


  3. That's quite a collection of stories in that book! Just from the list of authors I can see it is something I must check out for myself.

    Looks like you received several great books in the mail. I look forward to reading your thoughts on them.


  4. BooksPlease Says:

    That looks a fantastic collection of ghost stories - a good book to have at work too.


  5. Alayne Says:

    Great mailbox, and your Musing Mondays looks fun! Mine are at The Crowded Leaf.


  6. Nise' Says:

    I have read good reviews on the Ghost Stories book.


  7. Ana S. Says:

    The Virago book is excellent! Enjoy, Melody!


  8. caite Says:

    wow, that sounds like a very cool book!


  9. Melody Says:

    Alice - I love that cover too! :)

    Iliana - I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading Ruth Rendell's books! I really look forward to reading the Virago book. :D

    Wendy - Short stories are great when new-to-me authors are concerned. I'm sure I won't disappoint with the Virago book.

    Margaret - It's a habit that I put some books in my workplace. You never know when you'll need them, haha.

    Alayne - Thanks for visiting, Alayne!

    Nise' - I'm glad to hear the Virago book has received good reviews!

    Nymeth - I always trust your opinions! :D

    Caite - I think so too! ;)


  10. Violet Says:

    I love this question, it's fun.

    I've read many good things about this book too, I hope you like it as well.


  11. Julia Says:

    Great list of books, Melody! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as when you brought them :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Violet & Julia - Thanks, ladies! :)


  13. Veens Says:

    Oh I love the cover of White in for Witching :) :)

    I knw it would have been gr8 if u were at hme, but this one sounds good too!

    Have fun with yur reads!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.