Melody
ISBN-13: 978-1420100280
Publisher: Zebra
Published: December 2009
379 pgs
Source: Joan Schulhafer Publishing & Media Consulting





Adrianna Barrington thinks it was someone's cruel joke when she receives flowers and cards signed in her late husband's name. She has a few reasons for assuming so because she has recently sold the Thornton estate (belonging to her late husband's family) and she knew most of the residents in the neighbourhood are not pleased with her deeds considering the estate has a long line of history. But what most shocked her was when two bodies are found buried on the estate's cemetery and they were believed to have connections to her late husband, and it was then she realized there is certainly a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Homicide detective Gage Hudson has had a relationship with Adrianna many years back. She broke off with him mainly due to his work commitments and that he could not make enough time for her. After her marriage to Craig Thornton, she thought she would be happy since she was pregnant with his child, but unfortunately they met in an automobile accident and it put Craig in a coma. Adrianna lost her baby and her husband died following after. She is a strong woman and has slowly moved on with her life until the pranks started and now the dead bodies. Where could she go? And could she ever escape from the killer's grasp?

When I first picked up the book, I thought there would be a fair balance of suspense and romance (after all the spine read romantic suspense) but unfortunately, it does not seem to turn out that way, at least to me, that is. I have to admit the first few chapters are intense, and I was very eager to learn more about Adrianna's past and hoping to find some clues to the killer's motives. However, I find the story seems to drag a little as the following chapters are focused more on Detective Hudson going to places to track down witnesses and/or interviewing them. Though I can totally understand Detective Hudson's motives of doing so, I find it a little too much and think it would probably work better in a thriller than a romantic suspense. The chemistry between Adrianna and Detective Gage Hudson is not as intense or explosive as I first anticipated, considering they are lovers before. To be fair, I think Dying Scream makes a great suspense novel, but it does not meet my expectations in a romantic suspense genre. Still, I would recommend this book to readers who love a good suspense read.

Other reviews:
(Let me know if I missed yours.)
11 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I love romantic suspense and this one sounds good to me, even with its problems :)


  2. Julia Says:

    I'm sorry this book didn't meet your expectations in romantic suspense. But thanks for your honest review :) You already know am a big fan of romantic suspense ;) Great review!


  3. Melody Says:

    Stacy - Hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Stacy! :)

    Julia - Yeah, I knew the mention of romantic suspense will surely get your attention! ;)


  4. Veens Says:

    Romantic suspense sounds good to me! i would love to read something good in this genre. but i am quite sure I won't want to start this one!
    Thank you for the honest review!


  5. Alice Says:

    Romantic suspense sounds good to me. I love all our Anne Stuart reads, Melody (and Julia)!

    This one sounds good to me too. :D


  6. Iliana Says:

    I love suspense books but don't read too many with a strong romantic element so maybe I would like this one! I haven't read a good thriller in a while now that I think of it! I wonder if this is a series?


  7. Violet Says:

    I would be disappointed too if I was expecting a romance suspense. Overall this sounds like a good suspense novel though.


  8. Ana S. Says:

    Sorry to hear this wasn't quite what you were expecting, Melody!


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    sorry to hear the story dragged a bit at parts and didnt deliver as much of the romantic suspense. on the other hand, it does sound like an interesting suspense read.
    great, honest review.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. bermudaonion Says:

    I like suspense more than romance, so I'd probably like this one!


  11. Sounds like a good book for my suspense/thriller challenge. Thanks 4 the great review.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.