Melody
ISBN-13: 9780425226742
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: March 2009
304 pgs
Source: Personal Library




I have to confess that the main reason I picked up this book was due to my addiction to a drama serial I watched lately, in which it featured a charismatic lawyer who had lost his memory due to a brain surgery and how fate has brought him and his ex-girlfriend back together again. Though this book has nothing to do with that show, the hero in this book was a lawyer too and on top of that, I have read a few rave reviews of it which are enough to pique my curiosity.

Anyway, Practice Makes Perfect was a fun and entertaining read. Packed with witty dialogues and with a theme surrounding the battle between the sexes, this story is about two talented and ambitious lawyers who managed to find love in each other despite their differences and through some ordeals they encountered.

What I enjoyed about reading this book is the clash between the protagonists; Payton Kendall is a feminist at heart while J.D. Jameson is a cocky hero who thinks he has it all. It is no wonder that they could not see eye to eye with each other; and the most interesting part is where they are to compete with each other for the role of partner at the firm but what they did not realise is that despite all the competitions their feelings for each other have already taken shape right from the beginning they have set eyes on each other. Though I liked the idea that they are more or less attracted towards each other earlier (never mind if there is any misunderstanding issue or whatsoever), I have to say it might make the story more intense and interesting if they are portrayed as a pair of bitter rivals and nothing more as I would like to know how they would resolve their differences and all.

My views aside, I have to admit I had great admiration in Payton because of the way she handles things well in a calm and professional manner, and not because of her role as a lawyer but more of how she could manage to turn things around during an awkward situation (readers who have read this book about the court scene would be able to get what I meant). As for J.D. Jameson, the feminist in me cheered when I learnt that he did show remorse after all the things he had done to Payton earlier, and vice versa. All in all, I enjoyed reading this book. It made me laugh and think that opposite attraction does work. After all, there are no rules when it comes to the laws of attraction, and I couldn't agree more with that.

Other reviews:
Angieville
Babbling About Books, and More
Books Lists Life
Dear Author
The Raving Readers
(Let me know if I missed yours.)

9 Responses
  1. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    This sounds like a great summer read!


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    it does sound good, and so true that theres no rules when it comes to the laws of attraction :)
    great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  3. Violet Says:

    I have read some good reviews about this one too, glad you liked it.


  4. Melody Says:

    Sandy - It sure is!

    Naida - I enjoyed reading it. It's a fun read. I can't wait to read the rest of the books by this author.

    Violet - I hope you'll read it when you get the chance.


  5. Alice Says:

    I love books with witty dialogues. This one sounds like fun, Melody. :D


  6. Lisa Says:

    I thought this one was well done. I enjoy seeing people at work in my romance novels, so the courtroom scenes really worked for me too.

    PS I love the look of your blog!


  7. This is a new one to me. I do like strong female characters. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Melody. It sounds good!


  8. Julia Says:

    Everything you said here, I agree with. I'm glad you decided to take that chance and read this book. I enjoy it as much when I first read it. And Payton was a strong person who can handle anything, I like that in heroine :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Alice - It sure was a fun read! :)

    Lisa - Thanks, Lisa! I can't wait to read the rest of Julie's books!

    Wendy - Yes, I absolutely love strong female characters in books, no matter which genre they are. ;)

    Julia - I remember you saying that you enjoyed the book when you read it! I know you've yet to read the latest book by her so perhaps we might want to read it together, one day. ;P


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.