Melody





ISBN-13: 9780755329113
Publisher: Headline Book Publishing, Limited
Published: May 2008
480pp



Two young female artists are murdered. Somehow, these two cases are believed to be connected and DCS McGuire?? and DI Steele are called in to investigate. But both of them have a hard time looking for anything that leads to the murderer as he leaves no clues and moreover, there are no signs of violence shown on the victims' bodies. Both appeared to have died serenely with their palms down, it is as though they had died peacefully in their sleep.

Davor Boras, a millionaire businessman and the father of the second victim decides to bring in the Home Office, MI5 and CIA into the case, and this is where DCS Bob Skinner steps in and the plot leads to a more complex direction. Frankly speaking, I had a hard time reading this. No, it wasn't that I didn't enjoy the story. The premise is great, and it did get me hooked from the beginning, but after reading a few chapters I realized there are a lot more characters than I can handle and I was confused. I have myself to blame because this is part of a series of the DCS Bob Skinner and I thought it could be read stand alone. I was wrong. At least it didn't work for me. Another thing about this book is, there are a lot of dialogues going on and I often find myself wondering who is this so and so because I wasn't familiar with some of the names (Again, that leads to why I should read the series from the beginning).

I wouldn't say this is a book review, for I didn't really finish the book. I think it is better if I will to give it another chance after I have read the rest.
11 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    This is why I read book series in order. I don't like being confuse :)

    Sorry that you wasn't able to finish the book. I can see how too many characters can be confusing. It'll be confusing for me too.

    Maybe a second chance will give you a better enjoyment next time you read it in later times :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Sometimes, I'm able to follow the book without reading it in order, but I don't know why I couldn't do the same in this book. :(

    And I agree it will get better if I read it in order next time.


  3. Julia Says:

    I know in the past you were able to read series out of order. But maybe as you said, too much characters and dialogues just make you not enjoy this book much :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Julia, you knew me well enough that I don't read books in order at times, LOL. I guess there are times that I SHOULD follow the rules and read them in order. ;)


  5. Debi Says:

    Oh, I hate it when that happens! Sometimes you can pick up a book from the middle of a series, and do just fine...other times, it just doesn't work.


  6. Melody Says:

    Me too, Debi! Urgh!!! Looks like I've to pick up the first book and the rest of this series.


  7. I hate it when this happens. I've learned the hard way too that some series are best started from the beginning. I do try to read series books in order as often as I can, but that's not always possible.


  8. Iliana Says:

    Hate it when that happens. This is one of the major reasons why I read a series in order. Otherwise I always feel a bit out of the loop you know.
    I've seen books by this writer before but never tried one... I'll have to look for the first one :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I don't like the feeling when I don't understand where the story is going... and in this case it means I've to start reading from the first book. ;P

    Iliana - Me too. But there are times I just pick up a book without checking if it's part of a series, especially when the blurb sounds so good. ;)


  10. Jane Says:

    This happened to me a couple months ago. They introduced about fifteen people in the first chapter and even had a three page list of characters in the front of the book. I put it down. That is way too complicated for me. Doesn't make for a good story either.


  11. Melody Says:

    I hate it when this happens, Jaimie. The confusion does take away all the reading pleasure!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.