Melody
This week's Weekly Geeks theme: Choose a political or social issue that matters to you. Find several books addressing that issue; they don’t have to books you’ve read, just books you might like to read. Using images (of the book covers or whatever you feel illustrates your topic) present these books in your blog.


I rarely read books with a political or social issue, but this week WG has given me an opportunity to explore such books and though I won't say I will look out for these books sooner, but they are definitely books that have interest me and that I might want to read in the near future:

"Based on 25 years of research by NASA, this guide shows how common houseplants can combat sick building syndrome and cleanse the home or office of common pollutants."



"Roy Spencer shows that fears about global warming are vastly exaggerated and are driven by politics, not truth. This ground-breaking book combines impeccable scientific authority with great wit to expose the hysteria surrounding the myths of global warming and climate change."


Freedom Writers Diary: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World around Them

"Shocked by the teenage violence she witnessed during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, Erin Gruwell became a teacher at a high school rampant with hostility and racial intolerance. For many of these students–whose ranks included substance abusers, gang members, the homeless, and victims of abuse–Gruwell was the first person to treat them with dignity, to believe in their potential and help them see it themselves. Soon, their loyalty towards their teacher and burning enthusiasm to help end violence and intolerance became a force of its own."


"Prefaced by a page of suggestions for parents and teachers using the book, The Right Touch deals with the subject of preventing child sex abuse. The story features a mother who chats with her children following a tickling session before bedtime. She continues to talk about proper and improper touching of children by adults, and gives several examples. There is discussion on the parts of the anatomy where improper touching may occur. Strategies for protecting oneself are explored."

Where The Heart Is

"An Oprah Book Club selection. Letts's debut novel concerns a pregnant teenage girl who finds a new life among the quirky inhabitants of a small town in Oklahoma."






I am sure there are other relevant books that I wish to explore further, but for the moment these will have to do. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Labels: edit post
12 Responses
  1. Great post, Melody! These are all great issues. The house/office plant one sounds interesting. A couple of years ago the agency I work for banned all live plants from the offices because of the health problems they were believed to have caused, so it was interesting to see a book saying basically the opposite.

    I have a copy of Freedom Writer's Diary and hope to read it one day.

    Teen pregnancy is something I have dealt with quite a bit in my career over the years. It's unfortunately all too common.


  2. Debi Says:

    What an interesting, varied list of books you've put together there, Melody! Would definitely like to read at least of few of those.


  3. Alessandra Says:

    Hi, Melody! I like it that you've put together such a varied list! I'd like to read the one about office plants, it sounds interesting


  4. Ana S. Says:

    Great post, Melody! I really like the sound of those, especially Freedom Writers Diary.


  5. pussreboots Says:

    I agree with the others; the house plant book sounds really interesting.


  6. Maree Says:

    Great list; all of those books sound interesting! I read Where the Heart Is a few years ago. It was a good read, if I remember rightly. :)


  7. Alice Says:

    This is a great list, Melody! I'm very interested with the How to Grow Fresh Air book and also the Freedom Writers Diary. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Thanks. I'm fascinated with the book on house/office plant too. You know, I'm a little surprised that some offices will do that - banning live plants in them!

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Freedom Writer's Diary.

    It's true that teen pregnancy is a common issue, but it's also an issue that the society faces all the time.

    Debi - Thanks. If there's a chance, I'd love to read all of them too!

    Alessandra - All these books are so interesting! Some of them would be an eye-opener to me, especially the house/office plant book.

    Nymeth - Thanks. That book caught my attention immediately when I googled it.

    Pussreboots - I always fascinated with the nature of plant so I thought it'd be interesting to know how they'd cleanse the house/office.

    Maree - I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading Where the Heart Is, it makes me want to read the book sooner. :)

    Alice - Thanks. It seems like a majority of us are interested with the house/office plant book. ;)


  9. I want to read that book by Roy Spencer. I've heard him as a guest on my favorite radio talk show from time to time. Too bad his book won't sell as well as An Inconvenient Truth...


  10. Melody Says:

    Susie, thanks for visiting! :)

    I haven't read/watched An Inconvenient Truth but don't you agree that this issue about global warming and stuff is all so scary?


  11. Anonymous Says:

    You took up great issues, Melody. Great books to look into. The Teacher and House plant books seem good ones!


  12. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Gautami! All of these issues listed have really made me ponder and thinking what we should do about them.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.