Melody
From Dewey's post:


"This week’s theme was suggested by Renay. She says, “I thought it would be cool to ask people to talk about other forms of story-telling.”

This week’s theme is once again one you could approach several ways. You might want to tell about the forms of storytelling (aside from books) you love. Maybe you enjoy TV shows, movies, music, narrative poetry, or Renay’s favorite, fanfiction. You could give us an overview of a type of storytelling, such as listing your favorite movies. Or you might pick a more specific story, one particular favorite. I just finished watching an episode of Lost, for example, so I could tell why I enjoy that series, or I could get more specific and focus on one character’s personal story. Some people might post youtubes of the songs whose stories they find brilliant, or some might share family bedtime stories. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!"

Another great topic this week! I have been thinking my answer for this and finally decided on this one - Manga (since I think this is another form of storytelling, besides books and movies that is.)

I am sure most of you must be surprised that I chose this topic because I hardly mention them on my blog as I mostly dedicate it to the books I read and my ramblings. The truth is, I read manga as early as I was in Primary School - that was also the time when I started getting hooked to Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton's books. Manga comes in later after that, and it was only by chance when I stumbled upon them when I visited my elder cousin's house one day. (She is the only daughter of my mother's elder sister, and she is three years my senior.) I remember I really looked up to her at that time, and although I was envious that she got to buy all the things she wanted (her family is considered above average class), I was quite satisfied with borrowing books from my neighbour and the school library. She introduced manga to me, although she dislikes reading books. And I understand why manga seems appealing because you don't have to concentrate on the texts and imagine the story yourself, you get the story just by looking at those little columns filled with sketches. Besides, the sketches are just brilliant, and I often find myself oohing and aahing over the artists' works. If it takes time for a writer to write a book, I can not imagine how much time it would take for the artist to complete his/her manga especially if they are in several copies! (The most I had read comes in a set of 23 volumes.)

I was hooked to them immediately after she lent a few to me, although my mother thought she preferred that I only read books because she felt I could learn more new words through reading them. I think her other reason was that there are romance themes in those mangas and she didn't want me to be influenced by the characters at that age, although there were nothing explicit in them except some kissing scenes. I continued reading them all the way to high school (although I didn't borrow from her anymore and rented them with my allowances), and it was only that I had my first job that I started buying and collecting them. Now I have a small shelf dedicated to my manga, although they still stood pale in comparison with my books collection. And I am quite choosy when it comes to manga because I only read romance and fantasy themes in them, unlike the books which I can read any genre that sparks my interest. I don't understand why. Although most of these manga are translated from Japanese into Chinese, I am glad that some of them are also translated in English language.

Labels: edit post
10 Responses
  1. Kim L Says:

    That is pretty cool! I haven't read any manga before, but I've been reading about it other places on the blogosphere. And I wouldn't have known how much you like it unless you'd written this post!


  2. My husband is a big fan of manga. It's gotten to be more popular in recent years I have noticed. Some of the big bookstores in the U.S. carry some of the more well-known titles now whereas that wasn't always the case. My husband has a favorite little manga shop in the mall he likes to go to though.


  3. pussreboots Says:

    I've only just started reading manga. I'm working my way through Bleach and I have a few others I'll be starting soon. Happy WG.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kim - I hope you'll give manga a try! You can be sure it'll be a different experience from books. I guess I should post them more often, hehe.

    Wendy - I agree that it's getting more popular in recent years, and I've seen more people browsing at this section more than usual (if I can remember, it used to be dominated by teenagers and I'm glad that adults are taking an interest in them now). I buy my manga at one of the big bookstores as some smaller ones don't carry all the latest titles.

    Pussreboots - Oh, my husband enjoyed Bleach, though he watched the animations instead of reading the manga, LOL.


  5. Jeane Says:

    I've never really been able to appreciate this form of storytelling, though I've been exposed to it a bit (I had lots of Japanese and Korean friends in college, who read Manga)so I appreciated reading what you had to say about it.


  6. Ana S. Says:

    I've never read any manga but sometimes I read reviews of manga books that make me curious. You should post about the ones you read! I'd love to hear what you have to say about them.


  7. Jane Says:

    I read Manga Santa Claus and it was great! Funny but surprisingly well done. The books you chose have beautiful covers and I'm sure the artwork inside is just as good.
    Great answer to this weeks question!


  8. Melody Says:

    Jeane - I understand. One of the good thing is they remind me of animations but on paper. ;)

    Nymeth - You should! They can be so enjoyable to read, and the pictures are just so beautifully drawn! I'll try to post some reviews on them if I've the chance though. ;P

    Jaimie - I think that's one reason why I'm fascinated with them, the cover itself already tells something, isn't it? ;)


  9. Iliana Says:

    You were holding out on us huh? :)
    I have never read a manga but I've been tempted. They look fun. Can you recommend some? The shelves at my local bookstores are filled but I have no idea where to start!


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I don't mean to do so intentionally! LOL.

    I'll have to rummage my shelves and find some interesting ones, since it's been some time since I've read them! ;P


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.