Melody



This week's theme comes from Samantha, who suggested we should write about our fond memories of childhood books.



"You could approach this several ways. I’ll probably list my favorite childhood books with maybe a paragraph about each book: why I loved it, how old I was when I read it, where I got the book, etc. You could also just pick one childhood favorite and review it as you would any other book. Or, if you’re fast, you could make up a meme other weekly geeks might like to use. It’ll be interesting to see how everyone personalizes this theme. Don’t forget to come back and leave a link to the post in your comment once you’ve written your post. No wrap-up post this week; just the one childhood books post."

I don't think I will choose to review the book since I haven't been reading any of them for such a long time (but I do have a few of them in my keepers stack!), so I will pick the other option instead.

I remember my first book is an Enid Blyton book. I was probably nine-year-old then, and her books are very popular during that time (probably still are now). I didn't own any of the books (didn't have much allowance for them anyway) and I borrowed them either from the school library or from a neighbour. I remember she had a shelf of Enid Blyton's books (as well as some of The Hardy Boys Mysteries) and she didn't mind lending them to me (even though her mother always gave me her disapprovingly look as though I would not return them!).

Besides Enid Blyton's books, I was also a big fan of Nancy Drew. I find her courage and intelligence inspiring, and she is the first heroine I read and look upon to. I had read most of her books, and I find each mystery is so exciting and the adventure is set differently from one another. However, when I got into high school I didn't read them as much and instead turned to Bantam Sweet Dreams Romance for teens (which was then a big hit during the 80s). Again, I borrowed them from the school library, and to make things better, I had the privilege of borrowing two books instead of one since I was the librarian. Sadly, I can hardly find them nowadays as I do not think the publisher print them anymore, although I do spot them on rare occasions in some used bookstores.

I love this week's topic, as it has brought me some wonderful memories. Ah... those were the days!
Labels: edit post
18 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Although am not participating, I just want to say how I love to go back in times to reach in and re-read that old childhood favorite, someday. The fond memories of what I have of each childhood favorite books remain always in my heart.

    I did something ...should I say crazy last month ago. I went to Walmart and was searching for books to buy.I came upon a old childhood book's Ramona Quimby series book written by Beverly clearly. I slowly pick up the book look at it, place it to my chest and began to cry. I don't know why! I think the touch of the object that was my childhood, bring me back my childhood memories about me. I even saw Judy Blume "The Fudge" books series too. That was my favorite too :) I want to buy the books, but didn't. Do you think I should? *G*


  2. Melody Says:

    I agree with you, Julia. :)

    I think I've heard of Beverly Clearly, although I don't think I've ever read her books. I understand how you felt when you saw some of your favourite childhood books, and since it brought you some wonderful memories, why don't you buy the books? ;)


  3. Julia Says:

    I dunno why I didn't go buy it! LOL..I ask myself that very question LOL...but I love that books. Maybe because what Ramona gone through, I have sorta gone through too


  4. Debi Says:

    Lovely post, Melody! It's so fun reading about everyone's childhood reading.


  5. Ana S. Says:

    Lovely post indeed :) I love this theme.


  6. Jane Says:

    I loved Nancy Drew and actually had a copy of The Hidden Staricase with the same cover art! I wished I had hung onto those for my own girls but I know they still have them over a Barnes and Noble.
    Thanks for bringing that back Melody!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I remember my sister being a HUGE Nancy Drew fan!


  8. Melody Says:

    Debi - Thanks! I too have a fun time reading everyone's posts.

    Nymeth - Me too. I can't wait to read yours too. :)

    Jaimie - I love those covers! And I'm glad that we're able to find them at the bookstores now. I'm glad the publishers didn't give them up!!!

    Stephanie - I'm glad to hear your sister is a Nancy Drew fan. She sure is a popular heroine and an unforgettable character to a lot of readers!


  9. I was quite the fan of Nancy Drew books too. I wanted to be her, I think! Haha Thank you for taking us down memory lane with you.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy, I'm glad to hear you're another fan of Nancy Drew as well! Oh yes, there are times that I wished I were her when I was younger too, hehe...


  11. mary_m Says:

    I'm so glad you mentioned Enid Blyton! A friend tipped me off to her books last summer, and I found them completely hilarious and trippy, though I'm sure I would have enjoyed them unironically as a child.


  12. Melody Says:

    Hi Mary! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    I've noticed there are also a few readers who mentioned Enid Blyton so at least we know her books are popular! I've enjoyed her books as a kid, and I hope to introduce them to my daughter when she's older. ;)


  13. Anonymous Says:

    I have a copy of that Nancy Drew with the same cover design. And as you know I love Enid Blyton. One very popular writer in India. Children still love those books.


  14. Melody Says:

    Gautami, don't you love those covers eh? ;) I see lots of Enid Blyton's books in both the libraries and bookstores here, so I know she's still remains as one popular writer. :)


  15. Iliana Says:

    OMG those Sweet Dreams books were like crack for me! :)
    I loved them. I had a bunch of them too unfortunately I had to get rid of them when my apartment flooded one year. I think it'd be a hoot to go back and revisit one of these books you know.


  16. Melody Says:

    Iliana, I'm glad we share the same thoughts, hehe. I threw away a few of them too while moving house a few years back. Now I wish I didn't!


  17. Kerry Says:

    I loved reading your entry.

    I read lots of Enid Blyton when I was a child. I read all the Famous Five and Secret Seven, the Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair books, I just loved the Adventure books and I still have those ones.

    I read a little bit of Nancy Drew, but where I live (New Zealand) the books in the shops tend to come from the UK rather than the US, so it was easier to find Blyton that the more American books.


  18. Melody Says:

    Hi Kerry! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    I enjoyed reading Enid Blyton's books, though I don't think I have read them all! There are just too many! ;) As for Nancy Drew, I had read most of her books, although I didn't read her most recent ones... I also like her older covers, they're a classic!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.