Melody





ISBN-13: 9781582349060
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Published: September 2006
336pp



First, I would strongly advise readers to read The Goose Girl before reading this sequel because most of the characters in this book were already introduced in The Goose Girl. There, we see Enna and Princess Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isillee became good friends after all the hardships the Princess had gone through. Frankly speaking, I hate to see that story came to an end and you can imagine how thrilled I was when I knew Shannon Hale had another book released and this time, Enna has her own story in Enna Burning.

Two years have passed after Princess Anidori (Enna calls her 'Isi') married to her Prince Charming, and Enna returned to the forest; her home after the death of her mother. She missed home, though she yearns for the days spent at the kingdom where she worked as an animal worker. Just when she thought life will be peaceful for her and her brother, Leifer, a mysterious vellum found its way to Leifer and he began to learn the secret of the fire language. Enna fears he is not able to control the power, although she is fascinated by it and wants to learn it especially when Tira, the other kingdom has already claimed some of their Bayern borders. And when the ruler of Bayern asked for volunteers to prepare for the war, Leifer, as well as the others from the city and the forest all came forward and supported him. It is not an easy fight for Bayern, and unfortunately Leifer died in the process when summoning the fire as one would get lost easily if one doesn't exercise enough control.

Intrigued with the gift of the fire, the urge to fight against Tira and finally to learn the truth behind her brother's death, Enna unfolds the secret of the vellum and learn the fire language. However, during the spying mission she was captured and she is threatened to tell the secret of it to Captain Sileph, who is her captor, in exchange not only to save her life but her other two friends, Razo and Finn as well.

Enna Burning is another fascinating story after The Goose Girl. I find this story different and a little darker as compared to the latter. Though I find Enna a brave girl (like Isi), her character is just the opposite of Isi. Enna is more stubborn and quick tempered, unlike Isi who is more calm and rational when facing in a difficult situation. I also find the part where their friendship being tested especially touching, where Isi had her long hair cropped and disguised herself when she sneaked into the tent where Enna is being held so that she can indirectly convey a message to her. This is not only a wonderful fantasy story, but also a great story that tells about war and loss, love and friendship and trust and forgiving.

I really enjoyed reading this and can't wait to read the next sequel, River Secrets which is about Razo's story.


Other Bloggers' reviews:
Nothing of Importance
Things Mean A Lot
16 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    wow interesting review - lot of things going on! Glad to hear to hear you like the book

    Great review well done :)


  2. This does sound like a good series, Melody. I like seeing a series darken a bit as it goes along. I'm not sure why. :-) Great review!


  3. Melody Says:

    Julia - Thanks! I really enjoyed reading it. I'm hoping you'll read this series because I think they're great. :)

    Wendy - It is a great series IMHO. Although this book seems darker, I guess this is to reflect the reality and cruelty of the war and also to enhance some of the characters in the story.


  4. Ana S. Says:

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Melody :) Can't wait to read your thoughts on River Secrets.


  5. Melody Says:

    Nymeth, I enjoyed it immensely although my favourite is still The Goose Girl. ;)


  6. Debi Says:

    My favorite is still The Goose Girl, too...though I did like this one. I can't wait for River Secrets to come out in paperback...so all my books in the series will all match (how dumb is that?!!).


  7. Anonymous Says:

    I'm looking forward to read this one, although I think I'll take a break with a few other books before I get it started.


  8. Melody Says:

    Debi - I liked this story too; it's very different from The Goose Girl I'd say. I bought River Secrets in paperback but the cover is different from the first two installments. I wish I could find a cover that will match but I suppose I'm too impatient! ;P

    Stephanie - I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this. I can't wait to hear your thoughts once you've read it.


  9. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, thanks for the great review. I think I will embark on this series. How can I resist it when I what read on your review is so appealing?

    Bad girl, Melody you. I'm going to go broke very soon and you're one of the reason. *POUT* LOL.


  10. Melody Says:

    Alice, I hope you'll pick up this series! It's great and really worth reading IMHO. :)

    And I'm very sure I'm not the only one who did that to you, hehe...


  11. Kim L Says:

    I just finished the Goose Girl. I don't know if I'll make it to the sequel anytime soon, but it sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!


  12. Melody Says:

    Kim, if you enjoyed reading The Goose Girl, then you've to read Enna Burning, although I still think the first book is better! ;)


  13. valentina Says:

    It's seems like Shannon Hale can only get good reviews!I'll be really surprised the day I will read a disappointed review of one of her books:P
    I really want to read these books, as soon as possible!!


  14. Anonymous Says:

    Sorry I had to skim your review this time as I am looking forward to reading this in a month or two and I don't want to spoil it! It looks like you really enjoyed it though which is good enough for me :)


  15. Melody Says:

    Valentina - I absolutely agree! :) I hope you'll read this series soon!

    Rhinoa - No worries, I understand. I'd have done the same thing if I were you, hehe. Can't wait to read your review though. :)


  16. Anonymous Says:

    Good Job! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.