Melody





ISBN-13: 9780743454551
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Trade
Published: November 2005
448pp



Well, it seems like lately I have been reading books that are thought-provoking or stories with a sad premise, isn't it? As some of you may tell, my reading mood varies. At times, I can read the same genre in a row, or other times I just switch from one genre to another. And then, there are also times that I pick up a book just because I am attracted to its cover. I know I am not a consistent reader when this is concerned, but I try not to limit myself to read a book just because I feel there is a need to (unless you are talking about reading challenges here, and I am running way out of time!). But still, reading pleasure always comes first. Oh well, I think I have enough of my ramblings and it is time to get on with this review.

Delia Hopkins has been living with her father since she was four. Now at 32, she works with law enforcement agencies to help them find missing people, together with Greta, her beloved search-and-rescue bloodhound. Although she feels the satisfaction of every successful missions, it gives her a loss feeling because she knows that she would not be able to find her mother, no matter how hard she try for she had died in a car accident. But she is going to put this sad memories behind her as she is happy with her four-year-old daughter, Sophia, and she has a fiancé, Eric, who is her childhood friend (who is also Sophia's father) until one day, a cop knocks on her door and have her father arrested for kidnapping. And Delia happens to be the child he had stolen.

Shocked and feeling betrayed, Delia couldn't understand what made her father commit the act but later she learns that he did it out of love, though it seems he had done it in an inappropriate (and not to mention, illegal) way. He feels Elise, Delia's mother, is incapable of taking care of Delia since she has a drinking problem, nor do he trusts Victor, her lover with Delia. He and Elise are already divorced when he took Delia with him. Delia later meets her mother, and found out she indeed had a drinking problem. Once again, she feels betrayed that she is misled that her mother is the victim. At this time, her father has already been extradicted to Arizona where he committed the 'crime'; and Eric, being an attorney agrees to take on the case, but he is going to face a big challenge as not only he will get tossed off the case or disbarred if he tells Delia what he has learnt, but the prosecutor is a pregnant lady who believes that kidnapping is a serious offense no matter whatever the circumstances is. And then, there is Fitz, who is also childhood friend of Delia and Eric and he has liked her since then. He is a writer with the New Hampshire Gazette and he is asked to cover this story. All of these add complexity and climax to the story.

There are various POVs throughout the book, as readers will get a glimpse inside each character's world and read their inner thoughts. The hearing in court is the scene which I most look forward to, as I was very eager to find out the outcome. While reading and anticipating the tension at the same time, I have also learnt that sometimes, things are not always seem to be what you think.

Jodi Picoult has the ability of merging moral issues into her fictions and makes them seem real, and this is another reason why I enjoy reading her books, besides the emotional and thought-provoking parts. I think this story will stay in my mind for quite some time.

10 Responses
  1. Jane Says:

    That is quite a story! It could have been taken off of the headlines it seems so real. Great review Melody!


  2. Laura Says:

    I too have random reading habits, and though I try not to, I often "judge a book by its cover." I've only read on Picoult book (The Pact), and it was difficult to read at times because of the subject matter, I would definitely describe the book as thought-provoking too! I'll have to check this one out!


  3. Stephanie Says:

    I really thought this was one of Jodi's better stories. Some people didn't like it, but I really enjoyed it. Sometimes it's hard to say I enjoy her books. They are so emotionally draining. But she is such a damn good writer!! I have Change of Heart here, and I'm going to start it this weekend.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    This was the first book I read by Picoult and have since read The Pact. I hope to read more as I really like her perspective on moral dilemas. They are a great way to make you think and really put you in the shoes of another person.


  5. Debi Says:

    I really, really, really need to give Picoult a try one of these days! I've bought a few, but haven't gotten around to reading any. I have a feeling I'm going to love her!


  6. Julia Says:

    Great review!

    I haven't yet read books by Jodi Picoult, but I think in due time (whenthe mood strike) I will read it then :)


  7. Alice Says:

    Great review, Melody! I like thought-provoking stories and have been reading them for quite a while. Jodi Piccoult is one of those authors who does a great job in the genre.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jaimie - I think so too, and that's one reason why I enjoy reading Jodi Picoult's books!

    Laura - I've yet to read The Pact though I've it in my pile. I've read several good reviews about it and I can't wait to read this book.

    Stephanie - I too enjoyed it! I find it touching at times. And I agree most of her books are emotional draining, although she had put it altogether so well! I can't wait to read your review on Change of Heart!

    Rhinoa - I share your thoughts. Not only her books are great reads but they lead us to think about the issues too.

    Debi - Yes, you should!! I'd also highly recommend My Sister's Keeper as that's the first book I read by her (and it's one of my favourite books of hers too!).

    Julia - Thank you. :) I hope you'll read her books soon!

    Alice - Thanks! I LOVE thought-provoking stories. I know some readers are put off by them because they're so like reality but it makes me think... and what I'd do if I were in the characters' shoes...


  9. Anonymous Says:

    Melody, would you recommend Vanishing Acts or My Sister's Keeper to read first? I have both and can't decide!


  10. Melody Says:

    Kristy - I'd suggest reading My Sister's Keeper first! Let me know once you've read it as I can't wait to read your thoughts on it. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.