Melody
(This is a scheduled post.)

ISBN-13: 9780380773527
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Published: September 2003
373 pgs




I have not read a historical romance for a long time, and with the holiday is just around the corner, my reading mood dictated I should read a love story (never mind if it is not a holiday themed book), and so I settled on Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas.

Sara Fielding is unlike the other females in her village Greenwood Corners, for starters she has a streak for adventures and it is not surprising considering she is a writer and she would venture to anywhere for research for her books.

To find out more about the gambling clubs and how they operate for her next book, she leaves the shelter of her safe, country cottage in Greenwood Corners and into Derek Craven's world, for he is the proud owner of a well-known gambling club and she is sure she could find any information she could get from that place. However, Sara did not expect she could meet Derek in person so soon, after she has somehow saved him from an assault.

Derek Craven is a handsome, tough and a tenacious man. Unlike Sara, he came from a working-class background but he rose from poverty to become the wealthy lord of London's most exclusive gambling house through his wit and lots of filthy, hard work. His unhappy childhood has made him a hardened man, and he does not trust people easily. After the assault incident, Derek has no choice but to allow Sara to enter into his club, and though he would not admit it, he is somehow fascinated by her courage and her impeccable manners.

Slowly, they attracted and fell in love with each other, but one of Derek's past lovers is very angry of him for severing all ties with her and she is going to make him and Sara pay at all costs.

Dreaming of You is one of the best classic historical romance I read in a long time and I could see why it remains one of a favourites among many Lisa Kleypas' readers. Which romance reader wouldn't love to read a tortured hero, and finding his redemption and love in the end? I enjoyed reading the clash/exchange between Derek and Sara, and though the story is not new, it kept me entertained and then of course, there is the notion that true love conquers everything. This is a must read for all historical romance fans. I am glad to see I have a few more titles by Lisa Kleypas after going through my pile yesterday, and I look forward to reading them next year (I don't think I will be reading a lot due to the upcoming holiday season and all, but I can always try!).


Other reviews:
Book Binge
Reading Adventures
The Book Smugglers
(Let me know if I missed yours.)
11 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    You already know that I have never read books by Lisa Kleypas before. However I do have her contemporary romance of trilogy set. And just only 1 historical book TEMPTED ME AT TWLIGHT :)

    Sound like you enjoy Lisa Kelypas' books, and maybe I will too :)

    Miss ya already! teehehe ;)


  2. This is a good time of year to read feel good books. :-) I am glad you enjoyed this one, Melody.


  3. Violet Says:

    Thank you for reviewing this Melody. I'm always looking for more Lisa Kleypas recommendations. On to the wishlist it goes.


  4. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I have to admit, I'm not a big romance fan, but now and again, it feels nice to indulge. This ones sounds like it would be perfect for what ails you!


  5. Beth F Says:

    I'm not big on romance but this sounds like a good one for vacation reading.


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    This sounds really good, i'll have to add it to my TBR :)
    Great review, I always enjoy a good historical romance!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  7. Dot Says:

    Great review, I really like the sound of this!


  8. S. Krishna Says:

    I don't read much romance, but we're reading a Lisa Kleypas for our book club in January, and I'm excited!


  9. Anonymous Says:

    I love historical romances but I've never read Kleypas. I'll be adding this to my list :) Thanks!


  10. Melody Says:

    Hi, everyone! I apologize for not replying on a one-to-one basis, but I want to tell you that I read and appreciate every one of your comments! :)

    Lisa Kleypas is one of my favourite historical romance authors, and I love her books (especially her older ones). I had a great time reading this one, and reading it brings me a nostalgic feeling as I remember the days I read romance books in a row! :P


  11. Due to your review I bought this for my Kindle and decided to read it. It really was a feel good book and I enjoyed it. Thanks !


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.