Melody
ISBN-13: 9780451227997
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: November 2009
335 pgs




When bricks crumble, the fireplace falls;
When children cry, the mothers call.
When lies are told, the sins are built,
Within the waves, hide all our guilt.
~Pg 20



I enjoyed reading The House on Tradd Street by Karen White so much so that I read the next installment, The Girl on Legare Street right after I finished that book.

Well, where shall I begin? For starters, let's say I loved this book more than The House on Tradd Street. Don't get me wrong, I loved that book, but this book is better in my opinion. And also, I loved seeing Realtor Melanie Middleton and True historical crime writer Jack Trenholm are back together again working on another project - this time around it is the mystery and secrets surrounding her ancestral home on Legare Street.

Melanie is still recovering from her bewilderment on inheriting a historical estate on Tradd Street as from the previous book, so when Ginnette, her estranged mother suddenly returns to Charleston and told her she needs to protect her after receiving a premonition (readers who have read The House on Tradd Street would know that Melanie and Ginnette have psychic abilities) and she fears Melanie might be in great danger from a supernatural force, which she sensed has got something to do with the house on Legare Street left by her late mother, Sarah Manigault Prioleau as she had left some clues behind and she is determined to unravel the secrets behind the old house.

Melanie is still feeling terribly hurt by her mother's sudden departure thirty-five years ago, but she gave in to Ginnette's offer to stay in the house on Legare Street, since her historical house on Tradd Street is under major renovation and plus, Jack Trenholm offers to help them in investigating the mystery. Melanie might not want to admit it, but she could not help but feel attracted towards Jack although at times she is confused by the way he talks and acts around her. To heighten the complexity, Rebecca Edgerton, a reporter and an old friend of Jack, enter into the picture and Melanie is not sure if she is unhappy over her insistent probing on the house or that she is getting too cozy with Jack. Either way, it irritates her but she is soon caught up by the intrigue and the secrets of the Legare Street's house and besides, she is also interested to find more about her supernatural protector, who had kept her accompany since she was staying in the house on Legare Street when she was young and knowing that he is somewhat linked to the mystery.

What I loved about this book is the great characterization and the author has a way in building the tension and suspense. I find myself flipping through the pages quickly and/or holding my breath most of the times while reading this book and immersed into the story deeply that at times I have to remind myself that this is not a true story and that Melanie is only a fictional character. Rebecca gets on my nerves and I have to admit I do not really like or trust her in the beginning of the story, but you know how one's opinion will change once the story slowly unfolds in front of your eyes and that things might not be what it seems at first.

I enjoyed reading the history of the Legare Street's house, and I was really intrigued by the family tree of the Prioleau's family and some others. Though the story is nicely wrapped up, I felt a little perplexed over a particular character towards the end and I hope the next book (considering if there is a sequel, that is) will be able to shed some light on the issue.

Last but not least, I want to thank Joan Schulhafer Publishing & Media Consulting for sending this book to me for review.

Other reviews:
J. Kaye's Book Blog
S. Krishna's Books
Savvy Verse & Wit
(Let me know if I missed yours.)
14 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Geez, now I really want to read these STREET books. I'm gonna have to wait to get these two books. Great review Melody!


  2. Veens Says:

    ohh... I would love to read this Melody... but I need to read the 1st installment as well. Everyone has given it a 5 star :)


  3. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody! The first book is in my wish list and now that I've read the review for the second book, this series sure look like one that I should not be missing.


  4. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I really must read these books! I guarantee, someday soon, after a glass of wine, I'm going to pick up my Kindle and buy these books. I've seen guest posts by the author, and she also seems like a really likeable lady.


  5. Unknown Says:

    I love the covers of these books by Karen White! I really want to read these books. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed this even more than Tradd Street. I didn't read much more of your review but will come back & read it after I read the books. Not only are they on my tbr pile but I think they're going onto my christmas list.


  6. Darlene Says:

    I'm going to have to pop back and read this again as I'm just finishing this book up but I'm really enjoying it as well. Not sure if I like it more than the first one - I'd say maybe they're equal for me. Either way I really love these ghostie stories.


  7. Ladytink_534 Says:

    I really liked The House on Tradd Street so I plan on reading this when my library gets it... whenever that will be! This one sounds even better than the first one.


  8. Louise Says:

    Sounds like a good book. Thanks for an excellent review.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    this sounds good melody, great review! I have heard good things about this one. Its great when the storyline is gripping like that.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. Melody Says:

    Thanks, everyone! I hope you'll read this series soon. They are great! Karen White is a talented author, and I look forward to reading the rest of her books in the near future! :)


  11. S. Krishna Says:

    I love this series as well!


  12. I am glad you are enjoying Karen White's books, Melody. I like ghosts and the historical aspects of the novels quite a bit.

    I wasn't too fond of Rebecca either for a long while. I just knew she was up to something. :-)


  13. Anonymous Says:

    I really liked the first one too and this one is next on my list. I like that you think it's better than the first.


  14. Anna Says:

    I loved this one more, too. It's a shame we have to wait until 2011 for the next installment.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.