Melody
I know I hardly post anything on my weekend cooking, but I'm going to make an exception today since I discovered a dish I love last Friday when my husband and I visited a Japanese restaurant - wakame sunomono. This makes a great appetiser and I just love any dishes with cucumbers in it.

Anyway, it took me three attempts to get the dressing right for the taste. My first attempt was that I have added too much soy sauce in it, while my second attempt was having not enough soy sauce! What looks like a simple dish doesn't seem so simple after all, because the portions have to be right and well balanced. Finally, I thought the third attempt came out all right to me and I was glad that the hub and my eldest daughter loved it! She even asked me to prepare this dish again soon! (Wish I had taken a picture of it but anyway I googled the picture and this is how it looks like.)


(Photo credit)

The recipe:1 cucumber (preferably Japanese cucumber)
Wakame seaweed (according to your preference)
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar

Cut cucumber into thin rounds and set it aside. Mix vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a bowl. Shred wakame seaweed into smaller pieces. Mix the wakame seaweed and the cucumber in a bowl and pour the dressing. Mix well and serve.



Onto an unrelated note, my husband arranged our study room over the weekend so that our PC desk and study desk are sitting side by side together. The purpose of doing so is to make more room for a new bookcase and the thought of getting a new one excites me! Currently my piles of books are stacked from the floor till almost to the ceiling at a corner of our store room, and I haven't even counted the stacks that are occupying our study room as well! Anyway, I find that the desks arrangement looks so much better than the previous one, and I can't wait to see how it will look like when my new bookcase arrives!

I also added a few books onto my pile lately (it is a habit hard to ditch!). Here they are:

1) Three Seconds by Roslund & Hellström

2) Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

3) Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok



What did you do over the weekend? Hope everyone has a great week!

Labels: , , edit post
8 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    I'm going to have to try the Sunomono this week, thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to trying it, the photo look good! Also exciting for you that you're getting another bookshelves. Take picture of it, if you can ;) And enjoy your new books!


  2. violet Says:

    It looks yum although I'm sure I will never get the proportion right.

    You have to show us your new bookshelf Melody.


  3. The new layout of your study sounds wonderful, Melody. I'm sure it will be even better once the bookcase is in.

    I hope you enjoy your new books! Girl in Translation is one I really want to read. I hadn't heard of Three Seconds before but from the B&N description you linked to, it sounds good!

    I hope you have a great week!


  4. I want to say that we usually have this appetizer when we go out for sushi at Japenese restaurants, but I'm not quite sure--soy sauce doesn't sound familiar. But I do love cucumbers! I'll have to try this one out. Hmmmm--now I'm craving cucumbers! :D


  5. The Bookworm Says:

    That appetizer sounds yummy!
    enjoy that new bookcase :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  6. Melody Says:

    Thanks everyone, for your comments! I haven't gone shopping for the bookcase yet but I definitely look forward to it! :D


  7. Alice Says:

    You have to show us that new bookcase, Melody!


  8. Care Says:

    We book bloggers are so funny - we get all excited for a new bookcase! WOO HOO! Enjoy it and have fun placing books onto the shelves. That cucumber dish looks yummy,too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.