Melody
ISBN-13: 9780316077507
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Published: August 2010
206 pgs
Source: Personal Library




The Patterns of Paper Monsters. I liked the title; it intrigues me and it somewhat reminds me of all the angst and drama one would experience during adolescence. As it turns out, this is actually a coming-of-age story of a seventeen-year-old boy's life spent in a juvenile detention center after he was being caught for a failed armed robbery.

Three months into his sentence, Jacob Higgins lives his days in the JDC with an attitude (being indifferent and acts indifferent towards any beneficial programs). In short, he is simply obstinate and full of angst until the day he met Andrea, a fellow resident who shares the same bleak outlook on life as him. Well it didn't come as a surprise to me when I find their blossoming friendship turned to love and just while I started to hope that things would get better for Jacob, a huge obstacle gets in his way, in the form of another inmate named David. Jacob hardly speak with David; in fact no one speak much with him since he is always portrayed as mysterious and a loner. No one knew what he had convicted either, and no one asked anyway. So when David made an attempt to talk with Jacob, he was a little taken aback and of course at this point we all suspected that there is something fishy going about David's intention.

As the story progress, we soon find out that Jacob is unlike some of the troubled youths we have read from other books. Sure he can be obstinate and full of angst, but beneath those attributes there is actually a sense of vulnerability and sentimental values in him, and I liked it that he can be a bit funny at times and does not make up excuses for anything. In short, he actually knew what he wants, though he might get impulsive anything concerning his mother's alcoholic boyfriend. Of course there would be some struggles down the road for Jacob (which I am not going to spoil for you), what I find this story a little different from the others is the writing style and Jacob's voice. It is through his straightforward demeanour (and at times mixed with a sense of sardonic humor) that made him such an interesting character to read (I haven't mention that this is written from his point of view, in which I think the author has done a great job in capturing the overall essence of Jacob as a troubled youth and as a person) and also I liked it that there is a balance between the seriousness and some humour parts to this story. I am sure this debut novel by Emma Rathbone will appeal to young adults and adults alike.



Phew! It seems as if I've been on a roll reading books about troubled teens but I just want to say it wasn't intentional. I read Confession by Kanae Minato on a whim after seeing it during my visit to the bookstore two days ago, and honestly speaking I didn't have the intention of reading it on that same day as I tend to have this habit of chucking newly acquired books to my TBR pile but I just couldn't seem to put down the manga after reading the blurb so there you go.

Next onto my reading list would be a book by Jacqueline Horsfall titled For the Love of Strangers (actually it's in a PDF format since the publisher couldn't send the book to me on time due to a printing delay). This is for the Green Books Campaign hosted by Eco-Libris and all participants will publish their reviews on the same day - November 10th.

Upon writing this, I've no idea what book I should read besides For the Love of Strangers. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my copy of Nightshade by Andrea R. Cremer to arrive from The Book Depository so who knows I might dive into that if it does arrive today! I tend to be fickle-minded when it comes to my reading and what I've decided to read might change the next. So what're you reading now? I'd love to hear your suggestions!
9 Responses
  1. Julia Says:

    Interesting reviews, and I'm glad to see that Jacob found love while he doing his times in juvie. I'm wondering what made David suddenly speak up to Jacob...of course you won't tell me since it will be spoiled it for everyone here *grin*. Great review! And happy reading on your green campaign book. :)


  2. bermudaonion Says:

    Yay! I'm glad to see this one is good - I'm looking forward to reading it!


  3. Alice Says:

    I might read this in the future!


  4. Ana S. Says:

    This does sound good, but it really seems like you've had your share of troubled teens for a while! I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to read next, Melody :)


  5. Veens Says:

    Sounds good! You know it takes a toll when you read the same kind of stuff for sometime.

    I hope the next book you pick p is different and you enjoy it as well.


  6. Violet Says:

    The title looks intriguing to me too but right now I don't think I'm into troubled teens too :)

    Try reading a romance, I just read two of them and had forgotten how refreshing they can be.


  7. I haven't heard of this one before, and I think this book is one I would enjoy. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. I love coming-of-age stories. I love the title.


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    This one sounds interesting.
    Now it's time to break away from troubled teens stories...lol.

    Now I'm actually reading a paranormal romance. Its third in a series that I enjoy from Gena Showalter.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Iliana Says:

    I was waiting for your review of this one Melody because like you I thought the title was really interesting. I'm glad you liked it!

    And, guess what? I'm also doing the Green Books Campaign thanks to you! I need to get started on my book too :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.