Melody


ISBN-13: 9781408807583
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
Published: September 2010
Source: Personal Library


Me & Mr. Rafferty by Lee Child (The Dark End of the Street: New Stories of Sex and Crime)

When I saw the list of authors' names printed on this anthology, I just knew I have to get it. Well how could you possibly say no to big authors like Lee Child, Laura Lippman, Joyce Carol Oates and Francine Prose (just to name a few)? I know I couldn't, so there you go.

Me & Mr. Rafferty is actually the fourth story in this volume, and Lee Child is the main reason why I jumped into this story instead of starting from the first because I enjoyed reading Killing Floor, which is the first book of his Jack Reacher's series.

I have to say that Me & Mr. Rafferty is somewhat slow paced as compared to Killing Floor, and I don't meant it as a bad thing considering that the tone and the writing style is totally different. Killing Floor is intense, explosive and very action-oriented, whereas I find Me & Mr. Rafferty is more focused on the build up, as if Lee Child wanted us to take the time in exploring the narrator's thoughts and getting to understand him better. And in my opinion I think this approach is simply fantastic because you absolutely have no idea who the nameless narrator is except that he kills and his victims are often associated with prostitution. And he loves playing hide and seek games with a detective named Mr. Rafferty.
And I confess: It is about more than just equilibrium and partnership. It is about the contest. Me and Mr. Rafferty. Him against me. Who will win? (Pg 61)
As much as this is a mystery, what made this story such a delightful read is Lee Child's writing style and the satire behind it. In the end it was the overall reading experience that overrides the feelings of finding out who won eventually and to me, that is the real satisfying treat.
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I like Lee Child too so I'll have to look for this one.


  2. Julia Says:

    I love Lee Child's Jack Reacher series too! And I have to agree that Me & Mr. Rafferty is differ writing style compare it to Killing Floor. But it was a intense and enjoyable read anyway teheee.


  3. Alice Says:

    Glad you like this one, Melody!


  4. Veens Says:

    Great story for the Short Story Peril!
    I will definitely look for this one here.


  5. Sandy Nawrot Says:

    I'm wondering how I missed this book? What a list of authors! And of course, I'd read anything by Lee Child. Great find!


  6. The Bookworm Says:

    sounds very good, and I like the cover.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.