Melody

Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia from The Printed Page where readers get to share the books that came into their house last week; this month the host for Mailbox Monday is Avis of She Reads and Reads.

Here's what I received last week:

1) Nightshade by Andrea R. Cremer (bought from The Book Depository)

2) Falling Home by Karen White (from the publicist)

What books came into your house last week?



We have been trying to stay indoors whenever we can lately due to the haze, which arises from the forest fires in Sumatra but I have to say the condition has been getting better (as to date) after the heavy rains and I hope the Pollutant Standards Index reading would stay at the healthy range.

Anyway, we had a wonderful weekend despite the fact that we were housebound but we made good use of the time cleaning up and organising our stuff together. After everything was cleaned, I decided to play catch up on my DVDs watching and Before Sunrise was the choice since I haven't watched it before (gasp!) but wanted to after reading a fellow bookblogger's post about it (was it you, Sandy?).

So, Before Sunrise is unlike other romance flicks I watched in the past. For starters, you won't remember about the rest of the characters (never mind if their scenes last for merely a few seconds or a moment more) because this film only focus on Jesse (played by Ethan Hawke) and Céline (Julie Delpy) and the conversations they exchanged since they meet on a train and how they spent the night walking around the city of Vienna and getting to know each other.

If you are expecting for some exciting plots, then you will be disappointed because this film captures these two characters about their ideas and perspectives on love and life in general. There is nothing too fanciful about the plot but I find the storytelling style somewhat refreshing and most of all, I enjoyed hearing the two characters' perspectives and sometimes their exchanges just made me chuckle. There might be no extravagant meals or roses during their time spent together, but still I find it romantic with these two characters sharing their thoughts before they go on separate ways. There is just something nostalgic and bittersweet about the story, and oh how I loved the setting! I have never been to Europe, so it was considered an eye-opener to me watching a few landmarks in Vienna (e.g. Wiener Riesenrad Ferris wheel, and the Danube Canal etc. I even find there is a particular quality about their café, which is so traditional and well, cosy.)

I don't know about you, but I think Before Sunrise is one of the most romantic films I have ever seen. The connection (and yes, the sparks!) between Jesse and Céline is simply indescribable and most of all, I felt there is an edge of realism to this film which what made the overall such an enjoyable treat. I can't wait to see what is in store for the sequel, Before Sunset.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

10 Responses
  1. Oh I just love Ethan Hawke. But for some reason I've never seen this movie. "the most romantic films"?? What have I been waiting for?

    Hope you had a lovely weekend, Melody!


  2. Alice Says:

    Hi Melody, I have experienced the haze in Singapore last week when I was there and it was quite bad. I'm glad the condition is improving now.


  3. Violet Says:

    I'm glad the haze has improved too.

    Before Sunrise sounds really good and something that I would enjoy watching.

    Great books in the house :)


  4. Julia Says:

    It never fun when you have to stay indoor when there are some bad haze outside. But I'm glad to hear that it is getting better. I've seen Before Sunrise and love it too. There are lot of good/sad moments in them. Hope you enjoy your new books as much as when you brought/got them. Happy reading!


  5. Anna Says:

    I have Falling Home, too, so I'll be keeping an eye out for your review. Happy reading!


  6. Ana S. Says:

    I LOVE BEFORE SUNRISE! As you can tell by the caps, I get a little overexciting whenever someone talks about that movie ;) Make sure you do get your hands on Before Sunset as soon as possible. I love it just as much, if not more.


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    I really liked this one and theres a sequel!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  8. The Bookworm Says:

    I really liked this one and theres a sequel!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  9. Veens Says:

    I have missed seeing a really good romantic flick for sometime now. I hope I will get Before Sunrise here!


  10. Iliana Says:

    Melody I can't believe you hadn't seen this before - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I think it really stands out from other rom-coms because it is dialogue heavy. Like you said, we really get to know these characters. Too many other rom-coms (which I do like I might add) are a bit more fluffy. Do watch the sequel too! It was done years later and I thought it was very good too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.