Melody
It is that time of the year again which we get to list our favourite reads for the year. It was 2005 when I first did a ‘Book of the Year’ on my blog, and thereafter I make it a ‘tradition’ to do this at the end of each year. It is always so much fun and it also reflects what type of a reader I am for that year based on the books I read. While doing this list, I found out that I have been reading more YA novels this year as compared to the past; there are just so many great YA novels released this year and of course, I have to thank fellow bookbloggers for the recommendations.

Following last year's format, I am going to list the best books based on their genres. This list is basically chosen from my 2010 reading list and they may not necessarily be books published in 2010. Without further ado, here they are (please note all titles are not listed in any particular order):

Best YA
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Alright, so I listed three books instead of one under the YA category; I just couldn’t make up my mind over this since I loved them equally. Going Too Far has a great story and a greater characterisations to boot; and as for Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, this book just gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. As for Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, this book has captured the voice and emotional of teenagers, and what's more it is about finding romance when you least expected it; this is a true delight for all booklovers out there!

Since there are several titles which I also enjoyed but did not make it to the list, I think I should give them a shout out as well.

Honorary Mention:
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Half World by Hiromi Goto
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Best Fiction
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

Hands down! I don’t think there is any other book that is able to beat this one in my humble opinion. Sarah Waters rocks! Not only her writing is beautiful, but she is a great storyteller too!

Honorary Mention:
The Art of Disappearing by Ivy Pochoda
Midori by Moonlight by Wendy Nelson Tokunaga
On Folly Beach by Karen White


Best Thrillers
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Killing Floor by Lee Child
Faithful Place by Tana French

I had read a few good thrillers this year, thus I had a hard time narrowing down the list. However the above three titles stood out from among the rest because their plots had sort of blown me away. While plots are crucial to all stories, I find the characterisations are equally important too and I find the above three titles have them. It is no matter if those lead characters are heroes or one that carry emotional baggage, the point is they are some characters whom I would never forget in a long while.

Honorary Mention:
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Burn by Ted Dekker & Erin Healy

Best Romance
Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

I have to confess that I did not read a lot of romance this year, but the few which I read were actually great. Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James stood out among the list because it is highly entertaining. I don't remember reading a romance that made me laugh out loud for a long time, which I think is a good thing. However that does not mean that there isn't sizzle in this romance, there are! This book is one of those from enemies-turn to-lovers kind of stories and despite the cliché I still loved it!

Honorary Mention:
Ruthless by Anne Stuart

Best Manga/Graphic Novel
Blankets by Craig Thompson

How could I not rate Blankets as one of my top reads in 2010? Aside from the beautiful illustrations, the premise is both meaningful and powerful!

Honarary Mention:
告白〔漫画版〕- 湊佳苗 Confession by Kanae Minato (Manga)
裸足玫瑰 - 上田伦子 Stepping on Roses by Rinko Ueda (Manga)
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

So there you go! Which books are on your 'Best Of" list?
13 Responses
  1. Veens Says:

    Great list! I have all of these on my wishlist already!


  2. Iliana Says:

    I'm taking note of your favorites! There are so many of these I want to read. I have to break my favorites into categories as well so I can have a few more books :)

    Thank you for sharing your best of list. So much fun to read.


  3. gotta check out!

    I could read only 96 books. But that's ok. I was in a reading slump for more than four months.

    Here are my Best Reads of 2010.


  4. Ana S. Says:

    Some great choices, Melody! I loved Tipping the Velvet and Blankets and Dash & Lily as well :)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    So glad to see someone who loved Tipping the Velvet as much as I did! It was my first foray into Waters and it got me hooked.


  6. joanna Says:

    Blankets is certainly popular on this year's lists, I must make sure to add it! I added some of your other faves too Melody, looks like you had a great reading year!


  7. I had hoped to read a Sarah Waters book this year, but it never happened. Maybe in 2011?

    I was already to start Blankets at one point, but ended up not reading it after all. Another one I need to get to soon!

    What a great list, Melody! Thank you for sharing.


  8. Alice Says:

    I've got Tipping the Velvet in my Kindle (right after you mentioned it in your blog and after our meeting in Singapore). I can't wait to read it soon. :)


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    Great post Melody. It lookds like you had a great reading year :)
    I'll have to add Practice Makes Perfect to my wish list.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  10. I've been hearing SUCH good things about Dash and Lily lately! But, my reading of it will have to wait a bit longer... ;) I've also heard great things about Blanket.

    Happy New Year to you, Melody--hope this year is full of wonderful reading!


  11. Ceri Says:

    Love the selection, hun. :D Many good read to you for 2011 too! xx


  12. Anna Says:

    Great list! There are a few on there that I've also read and enjoyed. Wishing you a great reading year in 2011.


  13. Anonymous Says:

    I loved Shutter Island and Killing Floor too! Great list :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.