Melody




ISBN-13: 9780142408162
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Published: March 2008
224pp






"No one likes to think it of their father; but there are days when I can't help but feel that somehow I got stuck with the biggest loser of all loser dads." And so, this sentence begins the story and adventure of Miguel Schreiber, a seventeen-year-old high school senior after he meets a girl called Lainey, whose family has moved from Australia to New ford at a lakeside beach town.

Miguel is fascinated by her instantly the moment she steps into his father's used comic and records store one evening, and not to mention she has a dog the size of a large German shepherd which its fur is the exact same colour as her hair. Miguel soon finds out that she is trying to get out of Johnny Ward's way, who also happens to be Miguel's long-term enemy from school. Miguel assures her that he and his two friends wouldn't dare to step into the store as he told her the 'history' between his father and Johnny. After this incident, the friendship between Miguel and Lainey blossoms and soon they became a couple.

But Lainey has a secret; and Miguel seems to have strange dreams after his encounter with her but that doesn't stop him from finding answers behind everything. And as it turns out, Lainey and her twin sister are shapechangers and they are half human, half dingo. Tallyman, their father is sent to capture them by Warrigal, the first Dingo, so that he can have one of their blood to free himself from being held prisoner in a tree.

And now it is up to Miguel and Johnny to find a way to defeat these two powerful enemies so that the girls will be free from their grasps ever.

Well, what can I say about this book? It was a page-turner and it has got me hooked from the first page right to the end. I have never read anything by Charles de Lint, but this story is so good and intriguing that I will make sure to check out his books in future.

Charles de Lint has portrayed all the characters very well in Dingo; and I feel connected with the protagonists in this story. And what most rewarding I find this book is, I find hope and love in this magical story. And although Miguel doesn't think he is a hero and is just an average boy, but he shows great determination and courage which I greatly admire. Dingo is one great read and I am sure it will please not only to young readers but to the adults as well.

(Click onto this link to learn more about dingo.)

Note: Again, thanks to Rhinoa for sending me Spirits in the Wires by the same author. I know I will find another winner in this book.
18 Responses
  1. Alice Says:

    I'm tempted to get this one! BTW, I've just went online shopping and a couple of books reviewed by you and Wendy. Will let you know which one I bought when they arrive. ;)


  2. Melody Says:

    You need to get this one, Alice! I'm sure you'll like it. I can't wait to read what you've bought online. :D


  3. Alice Says:

    Be patient, Melody... be patient... LOL.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read, must read...

    I hope you like Spirits in the Wires, I haven't read it yet but think it is a little different from his usual books as it is horror.


  5. Ana S. Says:

    This is the second review I read of this one that makes me sure I'll love it! I'll now echo Rhinoa's "must read" :P


  6. Melody Says:

    Alice - I will. LOL.

    Rhinoa - Love your 'chant'! ;P I know you'll LOVE this book!!

    Nymeth - Yes, it's a MUST read! And I love the cover too. :)


  7. Kim L Says:

    That sounds like a really interesting book! I need some new YA books, I'll have to see if the library has it.


  8. Melody Says:

    Kim, I hope your library will have it. I'll be glad to read your review after if you have read it. :)


  9. Alice Says:

    I've just placed an order for this one, Melody! Can't wait for it to arrive from Kino tomorrow. Yippee!


  10. Melody Says:

    Wow, that was fast, Alice!! LOL. I'm hoping that you'll enjoy it. :D


  11. Jane Says:

    That book sounds like fun! I am going to look that one up right now! That first sentence is very good too.


  12. Melody Says:

    I think so too. Charles de Lint is a talented writer, and he has so many fans worldwide. I'm beginning to look out for his other books after reading this. ;)


  13. Iliana Says:

    That is a great first sentence... How can you not want to read more right? I must read some Charles de Lint!


  14. Melody Says:

    Iliana, I love reading the first opening lines because they can be so interesting (and intriguing)! :)


  15. Great review, Melody! I have yet to read this author, but I would like to. This book sounds like a good one. I am glad you enjoyed it.


  16. Melody Says:

    Thanks, Wendy! I had a great time reading this. I'm really looking forward to reading more of his books from now onwards. :)


  17. Debi Says:

    Thanks for another great review, Melody! I have yet to give de Lint a try, but know I must soon. This one sounds wonderful!


  18. Melody Says:

    Debi, you must try this one!!! I've heard nothing but raves about his books so I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of his books in future. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.